Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:51 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: New coffee maker
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:32 pm 

Hey all,

Well, another coffee pot broke this morning, so I told Andy I really don't want to replace the pot, I want to replace the machine (it's eight years old and makes lousy coffee). It's a Capresso Grind n' Brew. I like that it has a burr grinder, but I hate the rest of the thing.

What I'd like is something that is dead easy (so please don't suggest french presses), gets water to the 200 degree recommended temp, has a burr grinder, and finally, has a thermal pot. Am I asking too much?

Amy

Post subject: Re: New coffee maker
PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:05 pm 

:o sorry Amy. We love our French press!
k
we put the coffee in a thermal pot after we make it to keep the remains hot. Love it!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2010 7:16 pm 

Kath,

I'm up at 4 a.m. many mornings only to try to get on the road to work. I cannot be dealing with something other than "dead easy." I like French press coffee too, but too much of a hassle.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 9:57 am 

Okay, I'm rethinking my options.

I'm now thinking about a french press (thanks Kath for grounding me) and a new conical burr grinder. Any recos on the grinder?

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 12:49 pm 

This highest-rated burr grinder on Amazon appears to be the Bodum Bistro Electric Burr Coffee Grinder at $79.95, but it's not in stock.

Right now our normal grinder is the one in the coffee aisle in the store :o so I'm interested in what you get and how it works for you.

ETA: The Bodum is in stock in green, red or orange, but out of stock in black or white. White is in stock at CSN Stores, Chef tools, and some others. Black may be in stock at The Cooking Tools.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:07 pm 

Amy,

Bodum makes a large thermal french press that actually keeps the coffee hot. The largest hold\s 48 ounces which they call 12 cups- go figure.

http://www.bodumusa.com/shop/line.asp?M ... PR3GKPD83E

You might look at the Coffee Geek grinder reviews: http://coffeegeek.com/reviews/grinders?Letter=A#A

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:23 pm 

I think you're supposed to decant the coffee soon after brewing, so the grounds won't continue to impart a harsher flavor to the coffee. I've read that 20 minutes is about the limit. When we're not drinking the whole press right away we pour off into a Nissan thermos that just about holds a 6-cup press - maybe it's a 24 ounce thermos.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 4:19 pm 

I have the Capresso you hate and I like it. I agree it does not make the best coffee, but since I don't buy the best beans I suppose I can't blame the machine. Capresso does make a similar model with a thermal pot but if you don't like the quality I guess that's a moot point (unless they have evolved in the last 8 years).

I also recommend coffeegeek for opinions.

What you really need is a servant. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:39 pm 

Amy,

We have a Capresso MT-500, loved by some and not so much by others. It makes really good coffee but sometimes has incontinence; yes it pees on the counter if there is too much bloom, if the carafe is not centered, if your crappy grinder creates fines that clog the brew stop and if you run a full pot with old coffee still in the carafe. It's just like your kids, after two years it becomes (you become) house broken. Lacking diapers, I clean it with a brewers bottle washer and a shop-vac, once a month. It has a wonderful thermal carafe that holds 50 whole ounces, they call that 10 cups. They stopped production to produce a cheaper machine, but Tuesday Morning has them for only $99.

Did I tell you that the KA ProLine Grinder is really good and doesn't create as much static electricity as those higher speed grinders?

Good luck and think about the Aerobie Aeropress, $30 and lower acid and funkier than a Technovorm.

Tim

ps: You're supposed to ignore Berg----. What would he know about scallops?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2010 6:12 pm 

I love my Chemtex, but then again, I get to sleep in until 0430 .......I hate getting up that early..........

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 11  Next