Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:12 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next
 Post subject: Re: New coffee maker
PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:12 am 

Todd
We have the Jura Impressa as well, it is a great machine. Upfront cost is pricey but you use regular coffee. The Nespresso pods are expensive and my husband is a big coffee drinker. The Nespresso coffee is excellent. It is very popular here and most of our friends have replaced their bigger Jura type machines with the pod espresso makers. I was surprised by how many people here had espresso machines, just about everyone! I waged a battle with my husband for years about not needing one and broke down and bought him one for Christmas many years ago. When that one broke and we had to drag out our old filter machine, I was beating a path to the electronics shop.

Mary

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 9:37 am 

When my Delonghi Magnifica fails, I think I'll be stepping up to the Jura. Mind you, the Magnifica doesn't seem to want to give up.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 1:02 pm 

No one is allowed to show my husband that Jura machine. :shock: :D

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:15 pm 

I knew I had seen a thread on here with Jura in it. We are in the market for a new expresso maker so I wanted to see what current opinion is. I have to say I was thinking "high end" until I saw that a high end machine costs more than a decent used car. O_o So let's say medium-end, okay? ;)

I am limited to Macy's because I have a bunch of gift certificates from my wedding two years ago which are going towards this. Anyone have any thoughts on their current selection?

--Lisa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:48 pm 

Lisa - i just reviewed the Macy's web site and from what they offer I would choose the Nespresso. We have way too many coffee related makers, grinders, presses, filters.....etc. But we always return to the Nespresso. We have one at home and one for the office. Many of our clients come from Europe, post-Soviet countries, and South Africa and they love the quality and variety that we can brew. Nespresso offers a bewildering array of beans and blends. Most importantly, you can program how long the machine pumps so that with a bit of work you can 'nail it' for your preference. Our model can also do lattes, etc. which also require more effort but produce VERY respectable results. Our model isn't offered anymore (a version of the Latissima) but generally 'more is better'. Their high end stuff rocks. I don't know what the top end of Nespresso Macy's carries but whatever it is, I would goes as close to that as you can afford. Keep in mind, we are QUITE crazy about coffee.... :roll: :shock: :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:09 pm 

Nespressos are very good. Most people I know here, went from the Jura-type machines to the Nespresso. There are other brands with similar systems but, in my opinion, the Nespressos are the best as is the quality of the coffee. Be sure to get one where you don't have to remove the coffee pod each time, PIA when making multiple coffees.

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:21 pm 

Hmm. Not the responses I was expecting! I am generally not a fan of pod machines, so I had them completely filtered from my search. Environmental impact, etc.

Do any of you use the refillable pods? My impression is that the reusables don't froth well or give good crema.

I am willing to be swayed but I was looking at either Jura or a Breville so far.

Thanks,

--Lisa

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:27 pm 

We recycle our pods as per Nespresso's recommendations: the pods are aluminum and the grounds can be composted.

On another note, in reviewing the Macy's site again it seems they do not carry Nespresso. Their search engine recognizes it as 'espresso" - bummer.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:43 pm 

I always vote for Jura. One of our friends is a big deal coffee trader and he said they had the best compressors for the money. The compressor is very important for a reason I only vaguely understand, something about the speed and force of the coffee being shot through the machine. They are quite a bit more expensive than the Nespresso but the pods are quite expensive and make a lot of garbage BUT if you don't drink much coffee, they are always fresh. Clear as mud now, right?

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:10 pm 

There is quite a bit of complaining (the complaint/love ratio is poor) on Amazon re: reliability of Jura machines. As a user and friend of many users, what has been your observation?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 103 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9 ... 11  Next