Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 6:05 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Small Food Processor advice for Christmas gift
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 7:34 pm 

I want to buy a small-ish FP as a Christmas gift for my fav SIL. She's not a cooking enthusiast and has storage issues which is why she asked for a small one. Not really sure what her intentions are for use but knowing her as I do it won't get alot of use and certainly no heavy workouts. ;)

I've been scrolling thru various sites, reading reviews on 4-cups, and of course the reviews run the gamut from "awesome" to "lemon" for various KA, Cuisinart, Oster and BD.

Anyone have any tried and true recommendations? I'd like to keep it below $50 and it looks like that isn't a problem for the mini-preps. But I'm struggling with the size. Would it be better to [be generous] scale up to a 6 or 7 cup knowing that she won't use it, now, but its just a better long term machine? Or is it?

TIA. I'd like to purchase this weekend if that helps you to help me :)
Nance

Post subject: Re: Small Food Processor advice for Christmas gift
PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 8:24 pm 

I have the mini KA and use it all the time. It works great. I also have the big one with the mini one inside the bigger bowl. I use the single mini the most. Storage wise the mini stores easily most anywhere. I keep it in a drawer.

I did just buy my DD the Hamilton Beach big mouth. It is the larger one and CI says sells for $99.00. That is true most places but Kmart sells it for $54.00. If I remember right they recomend it with reservations because of something minor. I think for the average cook it is probably fine.

Laurie

PostPosted: Thu Dec 02, 2010 9:26 pm 
Site Admin

Nance,

For someone with space issues, I'd forgo the mini-prep and buy a stick blender instead. With attachments, those can be used as a mini-prep but are much more versatile. I've never found mini-preps to be useful: they can't grate, they can't slice, they're pretty much just wide blenders.

Get the KitchenAid with adjustible speeds (i.e. a dial).

http://www.amazon.com/KitchenAid-KHB300 ... 09&sr=8-10

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 12:08 am 

I was also going to suggest a stick blender with attachments but did a quick check and they are over your budget. I had a Braun and moved up to a Bamix and there is a big difference, especially in the mini chopper. They both do OK for soup. The Bamix does a killer mayo.

Mary

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 8:20 am 

Thanks everyone. I'll check these out. Stick blender is a great idea, (same one I have) but not so sure SIL will understand the versatility. She's very beligerent in the kitchen, actually hates cooking, and does it mainly just to feed the kids. So creative thinking is somewhat out of the question. Certainly an in-law and not blood related ;)
Nance

PostPosted: Fri Dec 03, 2010 9:19 am 

Nance
I , too, have the small KA and use it regularly when I just need a little chopped and don't want to haul out the big one. I have the stick also, but if I was adverse to cooking and just need to chop an onion occassionally or do a quick salsa, I would go for the small KA processor.
ilene