Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How can I adapt a magnetic induction stove?
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 1:14 pm 
Site Admin

All,

The place where I'm teaching my cooking classes has a computerized magnetic induction stove.

First off, you never, ever, ever want to own one of these things. Even if you get it for free. Not only is induction the stovetop for people who don't cook, but computers, cooking and magnets do NOT mix.

However, I need to make do, and my two biggest issues with the stove are: (a) that it's extremely fussy about what cookware it will accept (it even refuses 3-ply), and (b) it's too hot; even on setting (1) it burns things.

I'm wondering, is it possible to use a steel plate to "tame" induction stoves? Does anyone know? Or have other suggestions?

Post subject: Re: How can I adapt a magnetic induction stove?
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 2:38 pm 

Sorry Fuzzy, I don't know a thing about induction cooking. But I will be interested in the responses because eventually I will sell my home and move to condoworld where it appears most kitchens( in the condos I can afford) are electric. Someone told me I should consider an induction stovetop since I would be as happy as if I had gas (I think he just wanted me to stop pouting)
ilene

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 5:24 pm 

Oh the pain... have I not mentioned the absolute LOVE I have for my induction cook top???? What you described is so very NOT my experience so I am assuming that not all induction is created equally. I have had no problem using any cookware that a magnet can stick to. The highest setting boils water in the wink of an eye an the lowest can melt chocolate without using a double boiler. I have had both electric and gas and like the induction better than either.

Back to your problem though, I don't think a plate would do much to tame the heat as it is the pan that heats and not the burner and the magnetic rays would be going through the plate and the pot. I have a plate to use with my ceramic fondue pot but haven't used it for anything else.

Ilene, I think induction is less used in the U.S. than here in Europe. My parents looked into getting one when they moved a few years back and only individual burners were available but now say there is a fairly big selection. It is being used here by very good quality kitchen builders and in many of the top restaurants and is growing in popularity. Try to find one you can play around with, just not the same kind Fuzzy is using.

Mary

PS this message was not paid for by Induction Unlimited but should they have any desire to cut me a check more power to them.

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 6:38 pm 

Mary
Thanks for your encouragement. I am at least a year away from facing this, so hopefully, they will have come even farther by then.
ilene

PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 7:37 pm 

I'm havin a hard time jumpin in this fight...a fella that doesn't eat meat battling a gal that likes beans in her chili... :shock:

I can't lose!! :lol:

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 12:28 am 
Site Admin

Mary,

So, here are the issues I'm having with this stovetop:

1) I can't use nonstick cookware on it, because all nonstick is aluminum.

2) It doesn't even seem to like 3-ply. Cast iron is a total loss.

3) Even setting "1" seems to be what I'd call medium-hot.

That's why I was wondering if it was possible to put a steel plate on top of the burners and have the induction heat that, and the heat conduct normally to the pot above it. Mind you, even if it was possible to do that on a normal induction stove, it might not be possible to do it on this one ... the computer in this stovetop is apparently programmed to reject any cookware it doesn't think is good enough.

But I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has used the steel plate trick on an induction stovetop, and if so, did it work?

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 5:38 am 

Can't help you there. I use cast iron and non-stick. You can buy ss disks made for induction that are fairly cheap here. If you can't find one there, I can send you one. Maybe that would allow you to use your non stick and cast iron even if it doesn't tame the heat. Can you get Tefal brand there? Here they make inexpensive non-stick pans that are induction ready.

It sounds fairly horrible to me... I would be upset too (case of the lion lying down with the lamb Frank... I'm the lion).

Ilene, the brand I have (V-Zug) is Swiss but there has been some talk of the expanding to the U.S. market so maybe by the time you move on to Condoland they will be an option. They are expensive here so they might be out of this world when exported.

Mary

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:22 am 

Josh:

What you'd need is an "induction interface disk"

No experience with one, I just know that they exist.

What do you mean by "cast iron is a total loss"?

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 8:12 am 

Josh,

Sorry to hear about your troubles. I have a Bosch Induction stovetop and I would never go back to anything else. Any pan that attracts a magnet will work. All-Clad stainless is great. All cast iron works. I bought Circulon Infinite non-stick and love it. It’s very good quality and reasonably priced at their company website www.potsandpans.com.

I agree with all that Mary said about the “cooking” characteristics.

I have heard that in the past some stove have been sold in the US that were true dogs. At least you are not stuck with this one at home.

Jim

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2010 7:51 pm 
Site Admin

Pete,

If you put a cast-iron pan on the stove, it refuses it. Same with 3-ply; it just blinks "E" at you until you replace it with something pure stainless ... and not too large, either!

I'll find out what brand it is so that everyone can avoid it in the future.

In general, this has been my complete experience with induction cooktops; every one I've ever used has been fussy and undependable.