Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:24 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Peppermills
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 10:08 am 

A friend of mine's dad makes peppermills for family and friends. I have asked him to make me one, the price he gave me is very reasonable. He sent me pictures of 5 that he has made. I am to select the shape, wood and hieght. I can also select another design if I show him a picture.

I'd be interested in opinions. I want it to feel good in the hand and be a little hefty and about 11-12 inches tall. Here are the designs he has done and the 2 I found that I like from the web. I will say I am torn between the two I found and his designs because his designs are so unique. I feel like if I'm going to have one handmade it should be unique.

Opinions please; The first 5 are his designs the last 2 are web finds.

Laurie

Post subject: Re: Peppermills
PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 2:24 pm 

MiGirl wrote:
A friend of mine's dad makes peppermills for family and friends. I have asked him to make me one, the price he gave me is very reasonable. He sent me pictures of 5 that he has made. I am to select the shape, wood and hieght. I can also select another design if I show him a picture.

I'd be interested in opinions. I want it to feel good in the hand and be a little hefty and about 11-12 inches tall. Here are the designs he has done and the 2 I found that I like from the web. I will say I am torn between the two I found and his designs because his designs are so unique. I feel like if I'm going to have one handmade it should be unique.

Opinions please; The first 5 are his designs the last 2 are web finds.

Laurie

How about asking him if he could do the shape of one of the two you like, but make it out of a unique wood (or maybe even a couple of types of wood with vertical stripes or something). That way you get the shape you want and his unique touch.

BTW, the last one of his looks less like a peppermill than a, ummm, well, you know ;)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 3:25 pm 

:lol: :lol: :lol: I thought that too! And it doesn't look like it would be comfortable in the hand. Some of the others I found on the web, looked even more so....I would have been embarrassed to ask about those designs.

Laurie

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2009 6:25 pm 

I really like the shape of the second one and the dark wood although it looks like it might be a little cumbersome in the hand.
As for the bottom two, they are both very traditional (despite the definite organic nature of the shape). I would think if I were to have one hand made, I would not like it to look like those on the market. Now if it were battery operated, that might be a different story alogether,

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 5:50 am 

Re: the last one; I just checked and, respectfully, I have to disagree. :oops: :o

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:00 am 

I am leaning toward the design of #1 for the body and posibly a round top like the last one or something like #3. I can mix and match as I like.
He's going to contact me when the wood comes in, and we will confirm the design, so I have some time to think about it some more. If someone has a pic of a design I should look at please feel free to post it here. He can do anything I like. Most of what I have found on the web is very traditional. I wish I had a better imagination for thinking up something fabulous. Of course then I would have to figure out how to relay the design to him. I am no artist!

Here's the wood blank I selected.

Laurie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:29 am 

What fun to customize a mill! I personally like the red one and the next up from the red one. It would be nice to have a ruler in the photos.

Can you ask about the grinding mechanism? It seems like that is the real key along with comfortable shape. Are they adjustable grind?

Can you request the sheen of the finish, as when you get other woodworking done? The topcoat or finish usually has several different sheen variations (like wall paint). It seems to me that the less sheen the better, for fingerprints and slipperyness.

Just food for thought. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Lynn

PostPosted: Sun Nov 08, 2009 2:10 pm 
Site Admin

I'd go for #3 or #5 of his designs. Unless you can just ask him to do something new, just for you? Which woods do you really like?

I wouldn't ask him to do a conventional Peugeot design like the last two. Those, you can buy anywhere.

If I was getting a custom peppermill, I'd get it with a rod or bar across the grinding handle at the top, which makes it easier to twist rapidly. My favorite mills for usability are the ones with the crank handles. Even better than that, if he could give you a side-loading door for the peppercorns (like a Unicorn) then you'd really have something.