Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:06 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Updates on Blendtec vs Vitamix?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:34 pm 

Though I can't compare it to the Blendtec, I use my VM almost daily, and I'm another one that often uses it for making heavy pastes, so I don't think I'd trust the weaker motors to handle those on a regular basis. But it's all dependent on your cooking - if you never make those types of things, why spend the extra money?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:03 pm 

Thanks to all for your input! I have more perspective now. Thinking a Cuisinart may be sufficient. I am looking at the Cuisinart Hurricane (2.25 HP / $199) and Hurricane Pro (3.5 HP / $399).
Pro has lots more features...and power.
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/p ... 026?skuId=
http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/p ... 547?skuId=

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:18 am 

Ok, so, the Cuisinart Hurricane 2.5 HP is on a lightning deal on Amazon for $145!

I think the 2.5 HP would be sufficient for me, but I have never had a blender where you cannot remove the blades from the jar. I don't think I would like that. Is that a problem with chunks getting stuck? Or with cleaning?

Reviews for both Hurricanes are mixed. Cons: Too loud. Too heavy (3.5 HP model). Gun Metal base is plastic.
3.5 HP model -- more like a Vitamix. Makes hot soups, has variable speed control. 6 prong blades. 10 year motor warranty.
2.5 HP model -- low, high, smoothie, ice crush buttons; no variable control.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:31 am 

Again, I will say "it depends", but the fully variable speed is the #1 feature I love about my Vitamix. No more splattering things top to bottom in the jar, and you can hit the exact right speed. A very good soft-start would alleviate that problem some, if the blender has it. Reviews will help there. Also, some people will mostly blend big loads of wet things, which fare better without starting very slow.

As to the blades; I put hot water in mine, with a squirt of soap, blend it a bit, turn off, wash down the sides a little if necessary, rinse, done. Definitely no chunks after that. Removable blades aren't needed IMO.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:59 am 

Thanks. So, I won't worry about the blade issue. There is no slow start, though.

Someone posting comments says the Kitchenaid is same quality for lower price. Doesn't appear true. Only .9 HP
and a 1 year warranty!! Comments reflect problems within one year.

.... maybe a refurbished Vitamix...

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:35 pm 

I don't think that I would like a blender without a soft start. All of us have started a machine up on high speed by accident, and it's not good!

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 7:10 am 

On the vitamix, I would point out the downsides: It's expensive. It's heavy. It's BIG: it won't go under your upper counters with the container on. As such, its hard to store. It isn't pretty. For drink making, especially, it doesn't (normally, there are drink models I think) have the programmed modes. I'd say if you never felt your old blender seemed limited, you might not find the Vitamix (or a blendtec, though they might be a little friendly) worth its downsides. If you strained your old blender, this is quite possibly merit.

I bought mine used, took over 6 months of waiting for one to come up..

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:45 pm 

VM sells refurbished. ;)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 06, 2016 6:04 am 

Wanted to thank you guys for all your input on the Vitamix. I decided I could get by with a Cuisinart. But was not thrilled with it at all and returned it when I saw that the Vitamix Mother's Day sale had been extended.... got the classic with programs (reconditioned) for $299. Then saw another special around Father's Day with a price drop to $279. I contacted them and they gave me the $20 credit. I am very happy with it; it really does seem and look brand new and it comes with a 5 year warranty instead of the 7 year you get with a new one.
NOTE: NOW THROUGH SEPT 30 the reconditioned with programs is on sale for $249! If anyone has been waiting for a deal, this seems to be a great one. Obviously they want to clear these for whatever reason, but it is still a great quality blender for $249!