Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:52 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kitchenaid bowl stuck
PostPosted: Mon Dec 14, 2015 10:14 pm 

fitzie wrote:
Thanks, Dave. I used Carnation Instant Nonfat Dry Milk which is all they had at my local grocers. The bread was excellent!

fitzie

Thanks so much for the recipe mention, Fitzie. That article makes it sound like it's to-die-for. I'm making it tomorrow!

One thing that I noticed when I read it through just now is that in Step 2 they have you add the powdered milk, yeast, salt, eggs, and more flour to the cream/honey mixture you just cooked, but they don't specify to cool it any. Did you? If not, it seems like that heat from the liquid would kill the yeast unless everything else was mixed in first to cool it off and then the yeast is added last. Or am I missing something? And did you make rolls, or loaves?

Glad you got your mixer issue fixed, BTW. I keep a rubber mallet in my kitchen closet and it's amazing how often it comes in handy.

Emilie

Update: After making the dough this morning, now my questions/observations are more about the size of the rolls. There was no way I could fit 4 balls into each jumbo muffin cup. And even with 3 balls, this is what they look like with 15 min. to go in the rising time! I ended up putting the remaining balls into a loaf pan. So I'm curious how the proportions worked for you, Fitzie. Regardless, I can't wait eat one of those bad boys in about an hour :D .

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 5:57 am 

I followed the recipe exactly as written. I don't have a large muffin tin. I used 4" cake pans and put 4 dough balls in each. They came out looking like the photo in the article. A couple were really huge!

I really liked the bread but I'm going to try another milk bread recipe that uses less flour. Hopefully my mixer will be able to handle

fitzie

PS - how'd you like the bread?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:07 am 

They were delicious! But definitely huge. And that was with 25% less dough in each cup than the recipe calls for. I wonder if when the restaurant serves the rolls as starters, they just put 2 at a table for 4. I can't imagine how someone could eat a full meal after eating a roll that's 1/6th of that recipe!

As far as your mixer, Fitzie, did you knead the whole time on medium speed? Some recipes call for that these days, like this one, but KA says no higher than speed 2 for kneading. The one time I did that a few years back, my mixer got hot and shut off temporarily, which meant to me that it was too much for it. Am just wondering if that could have been the cause of your bowl trouble?

Emilie

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:28 am 

My mixer is about 25 years old. I have, of course, misplaced the manual. A friend of mine who bakes bread frequently told me she always uses the "2" setting so that is what I used. The problem, I think, had to do with the quantity of the flour. Too much for my old mixer. I also read that kneading dough can cause the bowl to become stuck to the base. So, who knows exactly what caused the problem. I think kitchen the gods were after me.

I baked cookies with a friend yesterday and we made several batches of cookies that called for 5 cups of flour and never had a problem with her much newer and larger KA.

As to the size of the bread, my 15 year old ggson ate one of the 4" pans of bread by himself. He is, of course. thin as a rail. I sliced the rolls from one of the pans and we had it for breakfast with Irish butter and Seville orange marmalade. Delicious!

fitzie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:40 am 

Santa should bring you an upgrade, Fitzie! And I just pulled off one of the "heads" of a roll and had it with blueberry jam. Soooo good. Some Kerrygold would have gilded the lily for sure :)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:48 pm 

yEARS AGO MY MIXER BOWL WAS STUCK & JIM TOLD ME TO PUT IT ON THE FLOOR FOR BETTER LEAVERAGE. WORKED GREAT! I AM FOREVER GREATFUL. :o :lol:

kATHY

PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:37 am 

I tried that with no success. It's WD40 from now on!

fitzie

PostPosted: Sun Dec 20, 2015 9:55 pm 

I used to have a K45, which this happened to once, and after this I put SLIPIT on the female part of it, and every time, after washing, I'd spear some on the male part, as well. Never had it happen again! Slipit is foodsafe silicone based, and can be used on meat grinders, as well.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 5:53 am 

Hardware store?

fitzie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 21, 2015 12:07 pm 

I got that originally from one of those places I get things for my woodworking shop from. Not sure if it is avalable at local stores, but they probably have a link showing where it is sold.