Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:10 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: All-Clad DotD at Amazon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:10 am 

I am not sure how this set falls in the All-Clad line up, but I am considering it. My cookware is the one thing I have never upgraded and I still use a set of cheap aluminum pans.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00L1P9AN6/ref ... ZD5VCFYKTW

Thoughts?

--Lisa

Post subject: Re: All-Clad DotD at Amazon
PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:05 am 

Lisa, even with all the new contenders out there these days, I still love my All-Clad the best. The one exception is non-stick, which I've been moving to Scanpan instead as each piece wears out (way more durable N-S surface). I don't know the ins and outs of each A-C line, as far as where the MC2 falls, but based on what you're using now, I guarantee you it'll seem like you've gone from a Dodge Dart to a Maseratti. That's the way I felt when I took the A-C plunge years ago after having always cooked with the Farberware we got for wedding gifts long before that.

And that's an incredible deal on a very useful set. I'm fortunate to live just 2 hours away from a W-S Outlet and so see the A-C prices there at rock bottom when they're discounted plus on sale, and you could never get that combination for that price!

Emilie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:30 am 

Lisa,

Before getting a set of AC (or anything, for that matter), go to a department store and see if the handles feel right in your hands. I am not crazy about the handles on AC, though some love them.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:46 am 

I agree with Pepperhead; the handles don't fit me and I can't imagine how much worse it would be laden with whatever I had in it. Regardless of the cost, they are not going to wear out, so choose wisely.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:17 am 

Good idea. I have very small hands. :) I will check it out!

--Lisa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 12:00 pm 

That's a great tip, you guys. I am super particular about the comfort/functionality of handles on pans and utensils but obviously I'm one of those that the A-C fits well. My hands are on the small side as well so I'll be interested to know if they suit you or not, Lisa.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:39 pm 

Well, this is a deal of the day, so I won't be able to test it. I am trying to talk Asher in to the set anyway, but it is Christmas so I probably shouldn't spend $400 on myself... We will see if I win or not.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 2:53 pm 

Lisa,
That's a great price indeed.

MC2 is not dishwasher safe. You can put it in the dishwasher but it will lose its finish. I know because I did! I love being able to put my cookware every now & again in the DW. I have a variety of AC I picked up at TJMaxx/Marshall's/Home Goods including AC (regular?), copper clad (my fav), MC2, D5.I think they are all seconds, a ding or scratch here or there. Most of my pieces have curled edges which makes pouring easier. FWIW, I also have a couple of pieces of Emeril which I think AC makes. I like those handles much better than the AC but over time I have become used to the handles on the AC.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 3:43 pm 

ldkelley wrote:
Well, this is a deal of the day, so I won't be able to test it. I am trying to talk Asher in to the set anyway, but it is Christmas so I probably shouldn't spend $400 on myself... We will see if I win or not.

--Lisa
It's Christmas so you should spend it on yourself! (At least that's always been my personal motto.) Ivy has a good point about the dishwasher safe angle though. For whatever reason I never put my pans in the dishwasher so that would never occur to me.

Emilie

PostPosted: Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:03 pm 

The AC handles do not work for me. I've been very happy with my Cuisinart Multi-Clad Pro, large sear space on skillets, interchangeable tops. However, I have MC2 8 qt. DO and do love it (short handles). Do I use it a lot less than my Staub ones.