Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:01 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thermometers questions
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 4:55 pm 

Need recommendations for 2 different ones. We have a new gas grill and DH is having a hard time with the temp. regulation. Would one of those no touch thermometers help and if so which one?

My oven one finally gave up so feel I should have a new one. FWIW, I don't think I have any problems, so it is just a precaution. Thanks for any help or advice.

PS, I have thermapen, but no way is it going outside. Also have the one with the probe and the alarm which I seldom use. (Forgot it has the sous vide probe!!!)

Post subject: Re: Thermometers questions
PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 8:30 pm 
Site Admin

Alina,

I have one with a cable which I used to calibrating the oven. It's really excellent, *except* that it's not durable over 400F, which means I can't just leave it in the oven as I'd like to.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2015 9:45 pm 

Please clarify what you are cooking and how you are cooking that is creating problems. I know you are an excellent cook so grilling over or beside an open flame should be relatively easy to master. If the problem is for using the hood down and determining the internal temp, I would reccommend using a reliable oven thermometer and noting what the grill thermometer indicates vs. the oven thermometer and just make a note of this difference. NB - open the hood as little as possible to just be able to read the oven thermometer, otherwise your drastic heat loss will give an inaccurate reading. Hope this makes sense ;)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2015 10:28 am 

Wino, thanks for the compliment, not sure it is deserved, but I'll take it. Steve keeps complaining he can't get the temp right on the grill, usually too hot. It has a built in thermometer. Our old one (Char Broil) was 20 year old and failing, so my guess it that this one just works well. I have no clue how it operates since I have never used it (or the old one). I do my grilling on a Calphalon or a Staub pan on the stove (electric)

Josh, thanks for the tip. I would have never thought to use the thermaworks but that should work. So far no issues, but I know I'm supposed to check. It is an electric Dacor.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:18 pm 

Alina, have you bought special tape to put on the SV bags? I have the Chef Alarm with that probe, but you can't poke it through the bag that's vacuum sealed in the water because it will lose the seal, correct? Or am I missing something?

Emilie

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2015 4:28 pm 

Have not bought special tape, and have not used the probe. We got our steaks down pretty well now. We sear in a pan or use a regular (Home Depot) blow torch. I buy sirloin when doing sous vide. Sorry I can't help.