Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:29 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Kenji Baking Steel Griddle
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:23 am 

Never answered the steel question. I got the carrying bag and have no problems hefting it around. And it made SUCH a difference to pizza making that even if there were some problems it would be worth it. the only thing is I have to remember to remove it the day after we use it, before we preheat the oven for the next meal. An to make sure when someone takes it out that it goes right into it's case as opposed to sitting in water - the teenager did that once.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:40 pm 

I put the times and temps I use for steaks on the Facebook Culinary page for Lou. Nice thing is that you can make a whole bunch, freeze them, and then finish them very quickly. That applies to almost all foods you can sous vide. I love the sous vide carrots I make, have some in the freezer now. Carrots (veggies and fruits), use a much higher temp than proteins. The only thing I've made that was not good was green beans. I did not cook them enough. Probably won't use it much in the near future since we had to get a new grill, so Steve wants to play with it.

BTW, Steve has made soups in the vitamix a couple of times and they were very good. It skips a whole bunch of steps.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 6:47 pm 

I sous vide at least once a week. We love salmon, steaks and lobster. I used it for stew meat quite a bit as well. I cook the stew meat for three days, chill and freeze - then when we want stew we add it to home canned beef broth, veggies and some flour or cornstarch and we have wonderful tender stew in an hour. I will do pork tenderloin and freeze that as well because you can thaw and sear it hard for flavor without over cooking and dinner is in 10 mins including the time to heat up the pan.

OTOH, I don't see me ever buying a steele. No room and too heavy. We tend to grill pizza when we make it anyway/

--Lisa

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:40 pm 

Thanks so much, Linda and Jean. That's very helpful. I guess I was really only thinking about SV for proteins, and the tenderness factor makes it very attractive. But I definitely have had my share of purchases that I haven't used as I thought I would (although I'm a bold returner, no matter how long it's been), so we'll see. Now that I think about it, I haven't been using my Instant Pot nearly as much as I should have been since I got it last month. But I'm terrible at planning meals ahead.

And sorry about the Vitamix, Jean. That's the great thing about buying at Costco. They'd take it back even if the box was long gone!

Emilie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:45 pm 

Lisa/Alina, that's all good to know. So say, for frozen salmon filets from Costco (I just bought some since we're trying to eat at least slightly healthier, but I've never made them before), how would you SV that? Just a general question, of course I can find recipes online. I'm just wondering how long would something like that take and would it be worth SV'ing.

Emilie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 7:11 am 

My apologies for veering from the original topic.
We purchased a Vitamix at least 15 years ago (from Costco) wanting to use it for smoothies.
Well, I made smoothies nearly every day for a couple of years but never really used the machine for much of anything else.
Finally I got really tired of the smoothie routine every morning and put the Vitamix away.
It's been stored ever since except for the very occasional use as a blender.
When I do use it it works great but I really don't need it.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:15 am 

VM is going back tonight or tomorrow. I'm going to use this hack instead for blender drinks this summer - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYqo08IdKTw

The steel works on the grill too! Honestly can't say enough wonderful things about the difference in pizza. I was unable to find a way to source one locally like Fuzzy did.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:34 am 

Mr. Fuzzy - do you still use the baking steel you made? My memory recalls this, I hope it is correct... :o

And to all - how did /do you season it over time?

I am having 3 made for friends and myself and plan on using the CI method with flax oil, same as with my cast iron. I Ordered it in the lighter 1/4”X16”X14” = 15 pounds approximately.

Thanks for your input! :D

P.S. WOW! My local metal fabricator was thrilled to get my order - “ANY BUSINESS HELPS!”

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 5:58 pm 

I have a baking steel and it is great for pizza...I think the end product is much better than with a stone, and quicker. I haven't tried anything else yet. It is heavy, but I'm okay with that for now. My daughter just leaves hers in the oven.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:39 pm 
Site Admin

Wino,

I used that steel a bit, but not very much; since it wasn't polished and seasoned, stuff tended to stick to it rather severely. I guess that's what you're paying the company for.

I did test using it in my Ooni pizza oven, and it had some promise there for taller items like Calzone. However, I left it outside when I wasn't expecting rain, and it got wet and rusted all over, so I haven't used it since.