Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:09 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: braiser?
PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 1:55 pm 

Okay so I looked up the De Buyer and read reviews and of course had noticed that brand of cookware in SLT over the years, but being the super picky way-too-analytical kitchen gear evaluator that I am, I always felt like the handle left something to be desired as far as comfort and ease of use. That country pan looks cool though, but the weight could be an issue for me, with just one handle (compared to a heavy wok or LC piece with 2 handles).

As far as using a saute pan, I have two non-stick AC sautes, and especially love the 4 qt. when I'm cooking a large batch of something. And I have the largest AC french skillet plus their 14 inch fry pan, both stainless. All that being said, though, none of them have ever really fit the bill for me as far as stir fries. The saute pans seem like there's less evaporation (or whatever the term) because the sides are so straight. And my fry pans seem either too small or too large for the typical stir fry. (Full disclosure: I'm kind of a sloppy stirrer anyway and so whatever I'm cooking usually makes its way under the grates of my cooktop.)

Typically I'm not a huge cast iron fan because of the need for ongoing seasoning plus having to be careful not to soak it in dishwater. Although I have a huge old LC oval roaster that's enameled on the outside but the interior surface is cast iron, and I love that piece. Anyway, what about this? It's got a ton of good reviews on Amazon, and somehow on this site it's less than half that price including shipping...

https://www.katom.com/261-P14W3.html

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 5:18 pm 

My instinct is that it looks a little shallow and is small, compared to a steel wok, but then it is bigger then a saute pan, so should work well.

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2015 7:25 pm 

Thanks Paul. I'm definitely leaning in that direction, given that price and reviews plus the fact that I think I'd also use it for frying. Appreciate the 2 cents!

Emilie

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 5:14 am 

I have two woks and use them frequently. Great for a big batch of popcorn, frying shrimp, french fries, doughnuts and on and on.

Also use them for their intended purpose and rarely have any proplems with sticking.

Since anything rarely sticks, I just rinse them out with very hot water and let them air dry. Use a copper scrubber if something does stick.

fitzie

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2015 7:11 am 

The wok has a round bottom? How would that work with your cooktop?
I thought those were made for a wok ring, no?
It wouldn't work for me, but then that's not the point.

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 10:40 am 

Actually, Linda, it has a flat base, although it's not obvious in the photos. And Fitzie, I'm so glad to hear about those other uses. That's what I was hoping I might be able to do with this one. I've ordered it from that restaurant supply place -- $56 including shipping. So even if I don't use it as much as I hope, at least I got it cheaper than anywhere else. :D

Emilie

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 12:00 pm 

Use it! One of my Chinese cookbooks has a photo of a woman bathing her infant in one. It's been called one of the most practical vessels ever made.

fitzie

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2015 8:49 pm 

Now I know what to tell DH if he asks me how in the world I needed another cooking vessel. It's actually a bathtub for our yet-to-be-conceived grandchild. I'm planning ahead! :D

Emilie

p.s. Fitzie, I've been toying with the idea of buying a Craftsy class that Grace Young teaches on Asian cooking. We love stir fries and I've got a number of tried and trues, plus egg rolls, but I definitely want to expand my repertoire. Have you tried any of her recipes?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 6:21 pm 

Grace Young is a wonder. I have two of her books but can only put my fingers on "Stir Frying to the Sky's Edge" at the moment. Love her shrimp recipes and vegetable recipes. Definitely worth a try. I'd go for the classes. You are bound to pick up a few tips and tricks.

My favorite Chinese cookbooks are by Barbara Tropp who grew up in China. She had a lovely little restaurant in San Francisco called China Moon which we dearly loved. Unfortunately she died very young. Her two books are "China Moon" and "The Modern Art of Chinese Cooking" (sort of the Joy of Cooking for Chinese food.) Highly recommend them but do read first.

Best of luck and enjoy your wok!

fitzie

"

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2015 8:11 pm 

Thanks Fitzie. I'll see if the library has those.

And speaking of classes, has anyone else tried Craftsy? I've watched 2 free ones ("Modern Buttercream" and a pizza one by Peter Reinhart) and definitely learned some things. And then I had a weak moment and bought "Classic & Creative Brioche Pastries" with Joanne Chang when it was half-price ($20). She's so great. It would be easy to go hog-wild when they have a sale, so many of the classes look really good, even for seasoned cooks/bakers.