Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:07 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Stainless steel cooling rack
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:48 pm 

ivy wrote:
Thanks Emilie for posting about the SS wire rack. I gave up on finding one to fit my sheet pans and have been jury rigging the one I have. That SLT one will fit perfectly, and I love that it's stainless.
Actually Ivy I think Alina's link to the one on Amazon might fit even better than the one from SLT. I've ordered one (of course had to immediately) and if it covers the entire pan then I'm going to return the 3 to SLT. That's the great thing about buying from them (for things that aren't more expensive than elsewhere) because they'll take anything back, even without the labels that I already ripped off all 3) ;)

Emilie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:45 pm 

So my Amazon package came today and Alina's rack definitely wins the prize. It fits my half-sheet pan like a glove, and is also a good bit lighter than the SLT stainless rack. It's on sale at Amazon right now for $29.99 so is $10 more per rack than the sale price I got on the SLT ones, but having them lighter is definitely an added bonus. Thanks so much for posting about it, Alina, while I could still return the others!

And speaking of my Amazon box, the other thing in it today was a Krups electric egg cooker. Obviously it's a one-trick pony but I ruined one microwave (albeit it a 14-year-old one) and almost ruined a new one with 2 different microwave egg cookers. And cooking them on the stovetop makes me want to blow my brains out when it's time to peel them. Have tried every tip I've ever read and none of them work. DD loves deviled and hard boiled eggs so I'm hoping it will be well worth the $28 and storage space I need to eek out for it.

Emilie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 1:47 am 

I am so glad you like them Emilie. I spent hours looking at racks trying to find that would work for CI's meatloaf. My old square cake one is a bit too small. Never did find a middle size between the 12" square and the half-sheet ones. Still glad I did since I need to replace the half-sheet pans anyway, the rack was a bonus.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:44 am 

Ahhhh! Now you've got me lusting after that CI meatloaf - I LOVE it!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 8:51 am 

BTW, I bought that Krups egg cooker a few months ago after reading about it here.
I use it mostly for poached eggs, which it does beautifully once you figure out the weird measuring cup. Haven't done hard boiled yet but as soon as I get a yen for potato salad I'll give it a whirl and see how it does those.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:31 am 

That's too funny that the egg cooker was mentioned here and I didn't know it. It just looked like the best buy for the money on Amazon so I took the plunge right after I'd peeled a dozen eggs that I'd cooked on the stovetop (and thus was ready to throw them egg-by-egg at the brick wall in my kitchen). Anyway, I tried it out last night and it works great. Have no idea how it knows how long to cook the eggs just based on how much water you put in, but the eggs were perfectly hard boiled and the whites were markedly more tender (i.e., less rubbery) than when I've made them before.

And FWIW, I got an price alert from camelcamelcamel just this morning telling me that the cooling rack had dropped by $5 to my desired price point of $24.99. So I'm officially enabled to buy two more now instead of waiting :D

Emilie