Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:58 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Stainless steel cooling rack
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:47 am 

I've mostly used the W-S Goldtouch cooling racks for years, but of course over time they've all rusted to one degree or another to the point that they need to be pitched or used for another purpose. I'd looked in the past for racks that were stainless steel so they could soak/go in the dishwasher, but it seemed like everything in half-sheet size was chrome-plated or whatever. Then I found this one recently at SLT. Got a few on sale for $5 off, but they're still not cheap and are definitely heavier than typical. But what a breeze to clean! And they'll be also be great for cooking/roasting things in the oven and then just popping it in dishwasher. Bacon, for one thing. Yum...

Emilie

http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-8771/Stainless+Steel+Baking+and+Cooling+Rack

Post subject: Re: Stainless steel cooling rack
PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 2:30 pm 
Site Admin

Emile,

How large is it actually? Half-sheet pan, or something else?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:10 pm 

It's sized for a half-sheet pan, Josh. Although at 11" x 16-1/2" it's about 1/2" more narrow and 1/4" shorter than the Gold touch size. That might mean it's one slice of bacon short but I can handle that since it doesn't require hand washing :D

Emilie

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2015 8:41 pm 

Amazon has one that is the right size of a half sheet pan SS rack. I recently bought these to replace the same very old ones I had. I am very happy with them. I also have regular ones and the rack fits all.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:48 pm 

Cubangirl wrote:
Amazon has one that is the right size of a half sheet pan SS rack. I recently bought these to replace the same very old ones I had. I am very happy with them. I also have regular ones and the rack fits all.

I definitely missed that rack on Amazon, Alina. That looks identical to the ones I bought except a little larger, which would be perfect. I was thinking about getting one more so will get that one instead. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2015 1:51 pm 

Speaking of Amazon, this should be on another thread, but are you all familiar with http://camelcamelcamel.com? It's a really cool site where you can put in the Amazon item name and it will give you the selling price of the item for the last year+ and then if you create an account (free), you can put the price point you're looking for and it will track it and notify you when the price drops. I've saved a lot on things I've wanted but weren't in a hurry for dipped for just one day.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2015 3:42 am 

Thanks Emilie, I knew that site existed but did not know how to find it. I usually put items on my cart save for later and check the cart for prices when I check the daily bargains. Another useful site is the one that gives you very cheap 0.50 to a couple of dollars items when you need to get to $25 for add-on items.

Now I want to make mozzarella cheese and leftover ricotta cheese so I can make those pancakes. I have leftover lemon curd from the lemon meringue cake and cara cara curd I made in the Vitamix.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:48 pm 

Thanks Emilie for posting about the SS wire rack. I gave up on finding one to fit my sheet pans and have been jury rigging the one I have. That SLT one will fit perfectly, and I love that it's stainless.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:27 am 

Emilie, I'm shocked that your W-S Gold Touch rack didn't hold up over time.
I have replaced all my most used pans with Gold Touch and I love them more than I can say. They all still look like new and I never have to grease a bread pan anymore. My cooling rack doesn't get a whole lot of use but it, too, looks brand new as well.
My only Gold Touch that is blackened and scorched is one of my quarter sheet pans that I use in my Brevville Smart Oven; it's been abused over and over and looks just awful but it's still useful.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2015 5:36 pm 

Linda wrote:
Emilie, I'm shocked that your W-S Gold Touch rack didn't hold up over time.
I have replaced all my most used pans with Gold Touch and I love them more than I can say. They all still look like new and I never have to grease a bread pan anymore. My cooling rack doesn't get a whole lot of use but it, too, looks brand new as well.
My only Gold Touch that is blackened and scorched is one of my quarter sheet pans that I use in my Brevville Smart Oven; it's been abused over and over and looks just awful but it's still useful.

Oh I love all my Goldtouch, Linda, and have a bunch of it. The cooling racks are what are in bad shape because I've soaked them in dish water, etc. over the years. They're terribly rusted but they're not dishwasher safe so I don't think it's a flaw, just what happens to any non-stainless cooling rack that's used and washed a lot. And FWIW, if you use Dawn PowerScrub on that quarter sheet pan, you might be amazed at how much better it looks! I love that stuff way too much ;)