Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:48 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My kind of anniversary present
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:53 pm 

So glad to finally be joining the PC world (other than canning). I wanted an electric rather than stovetop model and this one had a gazillion positive reviews on Amazon. We'll see :D

Emilie

p.s. I was also going to order ATK's Pressure Cooker Perfection, but the impression I got from some of the reviews is that it's mostly geared to stovetop PCs. Would love to know if that's really the case from any of you that have that cookbook.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Post subject: Re: My kind of anniversary present
PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:46 pm 

Emilie....I don't have that particular book, but do have about a dozen others. A lot of them are geared toward stovetop pcs but I've never found it to make a difference. I use a digital pc mostly, and just set it for the time stated in the recipe and let it do it's thing. I've done the same recipe in both a stove top and a digital and the results using the same timing were identical. Congrats on your new "toy" and have fun......I'd be lost without mine.

Sandy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 5:20 pm 

Glad to see you got one of those multicookers, Emilie. I have been looking into them, and have pretty much decided on the Instant pot, given all of the features, and that the pressure is higher than other brands (still not the 15 psi of a stovetop on high, but some only go up to 9 psi., which is rather low). The only thing that has held me back is how it may be as a replacement for my rice cooker - one of the three items it will replace. The large size might make it less suitable for cooking a small amount (but then, it is seldom that I cook a small amount! LOL). I'm anxious to hear how it works out for you. Have fun, and keep us posted!

Anybody else have one of these that they have used in the rice cooker mode?

BTW, did you get the SS pot or the nonstick?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 9:44 pm 

Thanks Sandy, that's very helpful to know. I did get one book called Great Food Fast that has a lot of 5-star reviews. Not as detailed as my typical cookbooks and he lists margarine as an ingredient in some recipes, which makes it seem dated. But since my primary motivation for getting the cooker is to be able to put weeknight meals on the table in less time, I'll keep my butter snobbery to myself (well, sort of).

And I got the SS, Dave. Actually I didn't even know there was a nonstick model. And it's funny you mentioned the rice cooking. I have a Zo rice cooker that has been a workhorse for me for at least 15 years and I was thinking that I'd hate to part with it. But if this cooker does the job just as well it won't make sense to keep both. I'll report back as soon as I make some rice. And I'm curious -- what other appliance will it replace for you? Your slow cooker?

Emilie

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 11:14 pm 

Yes Emilie, it will replace the slow cooker, pressure cooker, and the rice cooker (at least 15 years old!). I figure it would take the place of the rice cooker where it is on the counter now, and I'll give the other electric appliances to the vets, and stick the pressure cooker in the basement (I may still want the 8 qt size, and the 15 psi for something!). I rarely use the slow cooker because it has been a pain to get out and put away where it is, and sort of the same with the PC, though it isn't as bad, and I use it for really long cooking legumes. The things I cook rice with I rarely use the other two for, so no big deal there. And I will use them a lot more if readily accessible, with all of the dried legumes I use.

Given all of the concern over NS, it didn't surprise me to see this and some others give the SS as an option, and I'm sure it will be much better for browning, as well. Some cheaper electric PCs list browning as one of the heat levels, yet they are NS! This doesn't seem too effective, or safe, for that matter. You can get a NS pot at a later date, if desired; hopefully I won't want to, but I will admit, NS is much better in a rice cooker, as anyone who has cleaned out stuck on rice can attest to!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 6:53 am 

I have that same pot. If you want to replace your slow cooker, you have to buy glass lid separately - Amazon has it.

I got mine as a gift about 6 months ago, and have only used it 3 or 4 times. Mine is SS, and I did use the browning feature. Not sure it was as effective as a pan on the stove, but it worked. You guys have reminded me that I must get it out and try using it more.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2015 7:20 pm 

I saw that glass lid too, Silver, but I figured that I'd wait to see if any of the countless lids I have fit it!

I also would probably brown things like cubes of meat on the stove in batches, and transfer to the cooker. I also doubt that the browning would be as good as a cast iron skillet! I would probably use it most for browning onions, and similar items, or small amounts of ground meat and the like.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:22 pm 

I recently got the Breville Fast Cooker. I LOVE it!!! I'm not even finding that I have to adjust time any from the stovetop recipes...but I can set it and forget it.

It also has a sear function which works ok for sauteing onions and the like, but I still prefer a skillet for a hard sear on meat, as well as a slow cook function, and steam (which is used for rice).

Slow cooker recipes tend to work well without much adjusting as the liquid ratios are similar. CI's pressure perfect cookbook was just ok IMO. I prefer the Hip Pressure Cooking cookbook and Ms. Vicki's....but they both have online websites too with lots of recipes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:22 pm 

Hey all, reporting back with initial results. I've only had the time to use the Instant Pot twice so far. The first was a bust b/c I didn't know that pressure cooking tends to try out lean meat like pork chops. Second time was brown rice last night -- WOW. So much better than my rice cooker, and in half the time. So so far it's 2 thumbs up, even with my clueless self when it comes to what meats are best to cook in it and how to adjust the cooking time. :roll:

Emilie

PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:48 pm 

Best rule of thumb is use meat you'd normally braise. Chuck, blade, short ribs, chicken leg quarters, pork shoulder, that sort of thing.