Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My kind of anniversary present
PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:06 am 

I did a pork shoulder in the stove top one and after the first hour it wasn't done. Clued in and cut it into smaller pieces and went another hour. Turned out great. I want an electric one though for convenience and not having to monitor the pressure valve.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 11:27 am 

Thanks Jean and Carey, good tips. FWIW, I have a 24 qt. stovetop PC that I use for canning, and always use the rocker for the pressure. Even though I know it's not going to explode or anything, it still keeps me a tad on edge when it's cooking. Being able to pressure cook in the Instant Pot (or similar) that's virtually silent really seems space-age in comparison! (Although I guess that term is dated -- what's current for "space age" in that context?)

Emilie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2015 5:40 pm 

We did a PC curry with lamb shoulder and it was very good.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 4:04 am 

KP - I'd love the lamb curry recipe... :!: :)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2015 11:22 pm 

From Madhur Jaffrey's Quick & Easy Indian Cooking

Pork or Lamb Vindaloo

1 1/2 TBL grainy mustard
1 1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 to 1 tsp cayenne pepper (up to 4 for authentic very hot)
1 tsp salt
1 tsp red wine vinegar
3 TBL vegetable oil
1 small onion (about 4 ounces) peeled and cut into fine half rings
6 large cloves garlic, peeled and crushed into a pulp
1 1/4 pounds boned shoulder of pork or lamb, cut into 1-inch cubes
2/3 cup canned coconut milk, well stirred

Combine the mustard, cumin, turmeric, cayenne, salt and vinegar in a cup. Mix well.

Put the oil in a large nonstick frying pan and set over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, put in the onion. Stir and fry until it is medium brown. Put in the garlic. Stir and fry for 30 seconds. Put in the spice paste. Stir and fry for a minute. Put in the meat. Stir and fry for about 3 minutes. Then add the coconut milk and 2/3 cup water if you are cooking continuously in a pressure cooker, or 1 cup water if you are going to cook in the frying pan. (Transfer to a pressure cooker at this stage if that is your intention.) Cover and either bring up to pressure, or bring to a boil if you are using the frying pan. Lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 20 minutes in the pressure cooker or 60 to 70 minutes in the frying pan.

We had it with stir-fried cabbage, from the same cookbook. I liked this more than Kathy did, I think.

Stir-Fried Green Cabbage with Fennel Seeds

1 1/2 pounds green cabbage (half a large head)
1/4 cup vegetable oil
3/4 tsp cumin seeds
1/2 tsp fennel seeds
1 tsp sesame seeds
1 medium-large onion (7 ounces) peeled and cut lengthwise into fine rings
1 tsp salt
1/8 - 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1 TBL fresh lemon juice
1/2 tsp store-bought garam masala

Remove the coarse outer leaves of the cabbage. If you have a cabbage half, cut it in half again lengthwise and then core the sections. Now cut each section lengthwise into very fine, long shreds. A bread knife is ideal for this; you may also use a food processor.

Put the oil in a wide, preferably nonstick pan, and set over medium-high heat. When the oil is hot, put in the cumin, fennel, and sesame seeds. As soon as the sesame seeds begin to pop put in the onion. Stir and fry for 3 to 4 minutes or until the onion has browned a bit. Put in the cabbage. Stir and fry for about 6 minutes or until the cabbage has browned somewhat. Now put in the salt and cayenne. turn down the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring now and then, for another 7 to 8 minutes or until the onions appear caramelized and soft. Add the lemon juice and garam masala. Stir to mix.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:12 pm 

Yum. I've been too busy hosting DH's business friends to really cook much (dinner's out mostly, but then we did the Superbowl at our place so I just did a cheese plate, charcuterie platter, peanuts, chips, an artichoke dip that I can make in a coma, and chili at half time - I worked most of the weekend so was too tired to cook). I'll have to pull mine out again this weekend.

I did do a Tyler Florence Beef Stroganoff recipe a while ago in mine that was surprisingly good. It froze well too. It was this one:

Ingredients

3 cups beef stock (I cut this down to about 1 cup to convert to a PC recipe)
1 carrot, chopped
6 sprigs fresh thyme
1 bay leaf
2 pounds chuck roast, cut into 2-inch cubes
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (I used <1 tbsp as I thought this was excessive)
1 medium onion, chopped
2 tablespoons cognac
5 tablespoons unsalted butter (I skipped this too...I think I just added a bit more oil to the pan when it came time to saute the mushrooms)
1 pound mushrooms, sliced
3 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons sour cream, plus more for garnish
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley leaves, plus more for garnish

I browned the meat in batches in a skillet, put it in the pot, then sauteed the chopped onion and garlic in the same skillet and put it in, deglazed the skillet with some of the beef broth and put about 1 cup total into the pot with the carrot (just rough cut into large pieces - you pull them out and discard them later), the thyme (I used dried), and bay leaf. High pressure for 15 minutes, then release, pull out the carrots, and add in the sauteed mushrooms, sour cream, and Dijon. Simmer a few minutes on the sear setting. I skipped the cognac as I didn't have any at hand. It needed a bit more sour cream than written, plus it's quite loose, so if you want it over noodles it would work. For us, we just wanted to eat it on it's own without a starch, so next time I'd use less broth.

My mom gave me the tip about just doing the meat and then adding in the rest later. It works well with ingredients that would disintegrate (like mushrooms) or curdle (like sour cream). If you want to use wine in a PC recipe, I've also used the Hip Pressure Cooking tip of reducing it down on the stove to almost nothing before putting it in the pressure cooker. It does work better than just putting in less wine.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 10:08 am 

bumping for Laurie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:59 pm 

Emilie wrote:
Hey all, reporting back with initial results. I've only had the time to use the Instant Pot twice so far. The first was a bust b/c I didn't know that pressure cooking tends to try out lean meat like pork chops. Second time was brown rice last night -- WOW. So much better than my rice cooker, and in half the time. So so far it's 2 thumbs up, even with my clueless self when it comes to what meats are best to cook in it and how to adjust the cooking time. :roll:

Emilie

Emille, I'm curious about cooking brown rice in you new cooker.
I normally use my Zo rice cooker (that I adore). How do you cook it in your new pot?