Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Large Stand Mixer
PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:35 pm 

Hi Tim, you might want to check reviews on the flared bowl. I remember reading something about it not being compatible with some accessory. Sorry I can't remember more. Old age does that.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2014 1:07 pm 

Cubangirl wrote:
Old age does that.

Sorry but, I can't remember what old age does? :?

Yes, the flared bowl does not have a KA made swiper that fits. I'm guessing the Metro swiper made for the KA 5qt. lift bowl fits perfectly.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2014 12:34 am 

Alina, you will love the 7 qt. It would pain me greatly to go back to the 6 quart -- just that one extra quart allows me to double any number of recipes that I couldn't before. And I've had mine for close to a year and nothing has caused it to shut off from too much of a load (and I push it).

That's not to say that I wouldn't consider moving to the 8 quart eventually, but I feel sure the 7 will continue to meet my needs for at least several years. Plus I guess we've got to draw the line at upgrades somewhere, eh?

Nah....

Emilie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:47 pm 

Got my 7 qt. Had a panic moment because it would not fit where I had my Artisan, but problem solved thanks to my son Joel. Here's a pic. Image

Sadly the sideswipe I ordered does not fit, even though it says it will in the sideswipe website. Plan to make some Sourdough grain bread Sunday.

Than you all for your advise and enabling :D

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:11 pm 

Ooohhhh, Alina. That Merlot is gorgeous! If I wasn't so OCD I would have gotten that one instead of the black that goes with everything else in my kitchen ;)

Emilie

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2014 8:17 pm 

Thanks Emilie, I think they call the color candy apple red. My kitchen is white with black and red accents.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 27, 2014 8:00 am 

Beautiful! I think the 7-qt. is the best! It's good you didn't go for the 8-qt model, I'll bet that one is huge.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 10:34 am 

Cubangirl wrote:
Thanks Emilie, I think they call the color candy apple red. My kitchen is white with black and red accents.
Both of those reds are beautiful! I'll be interested in your experience with the dough hook and paddle that came with the mixer. Those are the only two disappointments for me because I virtually never put them in the dishwasher and yet the coating has still peeled off in a few places on both, which means I need to replace them soon before any more chips off and gets in the dough or batter, etc. I was going to contact KA about it first though, although would be surprised if that was covered beyond a year and I think I just passed that mark.

(I would love to get another SideSwipe, but when I looked originally they didn't make one for this model. Now based on your experience, they're saying they have one but it actually doesn't fit? I'd love to know what they say about that when you return it. I always liked the sideswipe better than the plastic blade models I tried.)

Anyway, enjoy it!

Emilie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 29, 2014 7:36 pm 

I love the Candy Apple red, it is the same color as the Vitamix. The sideswipe folks got back to me the next day and they are sending me a new blade. The shafts are the same for all models so this one was obviously defective since it didn't got in, but my old blue and red for my Artisan do. They will send me postpaid envelop to get the other back. Really prompt and nice customer service.

Today I got the last of my presents, which is a 3 qt. bowl with a smaller whip. I had an extra one for my Artisan and used it all the time, so I was so happy to find they do make one for the big guys too. I got it from Chef's catalog on sale plus Ebates. The whip is not as heavy as the big one, but seems sturdier than my Artisan one. I am one happy woman.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2014 8:18 am 

I love the sideswipe for my 5-qt lift model. I had the Metro Beater Blade first and didn't like it at all. The only issue I have with my sideswipe is that it's so hard to clean between those blue cleats that I have to put it in the d/w.