Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:59 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Large Stand Mixer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 7:01 pm 

My old 4½ qt. Artisan has served very well for 16 years. I have several attachments and a wonderful sideswipe. However, yesterday when trying to fold in flour for the new Baked Old-school Oatmeal Chocolate Chip Cookies, it really struggled. I'm starting to bake bread again and hope to make more healthy ones which means not all will be no knead.

So I'm thinking its time for a new mixer. I resisted before because I'm not sure I will like lift bowls but it seems I won't have a choice if I want to go bigger. While I don't really trust CI's-KA love affair, it does seem KA is still the way to go. I know anything I get will be an improvement and I'd like to be able to use my accessories, i.e., pasta, ice cream and grinder.

Costco has a 6qt. for a reasonable price, but should I go to a 7 quart or even an 8 qt. Newer/better technology? The latter 2 appear to be almost the same price.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Large Stand Mixer
PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2014 9:17 pm 

The drive train in the 7 and 8 quart mixers is far superior to the the Professional 600, well worth the money, and will be very, very, difficult to break.

My Professional 600 just celebrated its tenth birthday by making about 300 cookies . It is clearly a competent mixer that could be all you ever need, but it is not immortal and, in some tests, is not any stronger than an Artisan.

If the price difference betwixt the 7 quart and 6 quart is $150, the bigger, newer mixer is an obvious choice. If that price difference is more like $300 with a super deal at Costco, the choice is not so obvious.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:30 am 

I think, for someone like you, the newer model 7-qt. would be a very good choice.
The reviews are stellar.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 11:16 am 

My old K45 is now 35 years old, and still running. I looked long and hard at a new one, and everything pointed to the 7 quart as being the best bet. Unfortunately, I really don't do enough baking anymore to justify the cost. I don't do much these days that my 4 1/2 quart can't handle.

But if I were you, and baking lots of bread, the first choice would be the 7. Reviews are great.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 1:17 pm 

The accessories that run from the front of the machine should all work, no matter which size bowl you go with. You will need a different sideswiper blade.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:37 pm 

Thank you very much for the prompt replies. Now to search for the best price. The 7 appears to cost $549.95 in most places. Amazon has the 8 for $569.00 with Prime. However, I think the bowl might be too tall and it is not eligible for rebate.
[url=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CX3NBJY/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_3?pf_rd_p=1944687562&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00CPRYZG6&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0ZAPHK0C1383HPFW2K14] I can get the 7 for $535.00 minus a $50.00 rebate from Kitchenaid, not available on the 8 and a free shield. Plus 4% back from Ebates.So I'm going for that for now.

Should be here early next week since it ships from CA. I'm really excited. I used my points plus my iphone 5 gift card so it's my gift to me. Thanks all. You all are great enablers.

Last edited by Cubangirl on Wed Dec 17, 2014 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2014 9:10 pm 

None at all, especially if the 8 quart commercial comes with stainless steel agitators. I am not sure if they do, though.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2014 10:04 am 

If I hadn't sworn off KA, I'd be tempted to buy one of these big boys! I may give them a chance again in a year or two.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:18 am 

Be sure to let us know how it tests out for you. We like to get our vicarious jollies, you know!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:05 am 

Has anybody purchased the Costco Kitchen Aid Professional 6 Qt. Mixer with the narrow flared bowl?

tim