Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Big green egg
PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2014 10:21 pm 

Any eggheads here? DH and I just bought a green egg, so I'm hoping for tips, fav recipes and the like.

I'm also curious about pizza on the egg vs the weber pizza set-up. I know we had a thread earlier...but I don't recall if there was any follow-up regarding success or failure.

Post subject: Re: Big green egg
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:31 am 

Carey - While I don't have one, amongst all of my other bbq/smoker paraphernalia, I have friends with them. They recommend this site and especially the "Getting Started" section.

http://www.biggreenegg.com/

Once you have control of the process, which is quite different from anything else, I believe the recipes will be pretty easy to adapt from what you do already.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:15 pm 

Thanks Wino. Good to know about not cooking at high temps for the first several cooks. I had planned pizza and steaks for the maiden voyages. Back to the drawing board!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:22 am 

I have friends retiring and moving to another city with a smaller house that own a BGE I'm hoping they will want to sell it...
Oh yeah, like I need another source of fire :twisted: :lol: :o :!:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 7:09 pm 

Well, I'm not sure I should really count mine either! We already have a gas Weber and a charcoal Weber...so this is BBQ number 3. We've been told that we can use it all winter, so we'll see if that inspires DH to keep a path dug for me through the snow. We had 6 foot drifts last year so I might suggest wheeling it into the garage and cooking on the driveway if we want to use it in the winter. At least the driveway gets regularly cleared. I'm hoping we can smoke reasonably well with our egg once we get rolling.

I'm excited (or eggcited as the website would say). Man can they accessorize! I bought a beer can chicken set up, a pizza stone, the indirect heat plate, and ash tray and ash tool, and that's just a drop in the bucket of possibilities.

Has the Calgary snow made it to you yet Wino? They're calling for frost tonight, here. I hate winter.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 9:21 am 

So the first try with a bone in pork loin was a huge success. Marinated it with evoo, garlic, and fresh rosemary, salted generously right before cooking, and kept it around 350 for 2 hours (just because the start up instructions said to cure the gaskets at that temp for the first few cooks). Came out moist, juicy, perfectly cooked and with just a slight smoke taste from the charcoal (we didn't use chips). We used the indirect cooking plate. Had it with braised red cabbage out of the PC (4 minutes at high pressure is just about right followed by a quick release and reduction of the liquid with the lid off), roasted baby red potatoes, and caramelized onion and rosemary focaccia (from the artisan flatbread dough left over from pizza night).

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 10:39 am 

Wow, that sure sounds delicious. Every year, I visit the store and look at them, and drool a little. Every year, I decide, no, not this year. I already have 3 Barbies, but the theory is I could bring it down to two with the BGE. But I've yet to actually pull the trigger. But the pull gets stronger every year...

This year I seen Egg/Gas Q combo (side by side in the same structure), complete with infrared searing burner, etc. If it had not been many thousands of dollars, I think I would have been instantly pulling out my credit card. Also, the gas part did look a little light on burners.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2014 5:21 pm 

Paul,

You may need to just go for it. Tonight was smoked ribs. We are total rookies and didn't plan ahead (so no 24 hour sit in the rib rub). Did 4 hours at 250 over a water bath, with some soaked wood chips added to the charcoal, finished at 400 with some bottled Bulls Eye bbq sauce. They could have used a bit more time (they were tender but not quite fall off the bone), but otherwise really good. Better than I've had in many restaurants. Next time we may follow one of the fancy recipes that have you rub, sit for 24 hours, smoke, wrap in foil, and then finish with sauce, but for a simple first go they were great. Plus I smell deliciously like Jack Daniels smoke (we got the Jack Daniels oak barrel chips).

It really does hold rock solid temp once you figure out where to set it. Plus things do actually stay moist as advertised.