Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:24 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Thermoworks other products
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:38 am 

Every household has someone in it that cannot be trusted with expensive precision thermometers. In my house, that is me. I have never broken, drowned, melted or otherwise abused a Thermapen because I have never had one. My lesser victims reads like a who's who. My current thermometer is bent at the tip, burned at the other end and since it only reads to 302º I was forced to learn to make toffee without it.

I did take advantage of a recent open box sale to buy at Thermoworks and adopted a purple ThermoPop ® with rotating display for $19 and a matching Timestick ® $19.

It probably was a mistake to buy them both at the same time since it gave me an excuse to spend a whole day mindlessly recording the temperature of my coffee then plunging the thermometer into an ice slurry so I could use my new timer in the count-up mode to test the response time of the thermometer.

The thermometer does work as advertised. It is within one degree in 5-6 seconds and done by 8 seconds. It may be the fastest I have owned. The rotating display is surprisingly useful. Have not tested the splash-proof feature yet. At $19 I would rate it an excellent buy--cheap enough to save as a backup when the Thermapen is in for service. At $29, a bit less of a value.

The TimeStick is also very useful. The one handed operation is very helpful. Clock, timer, and count-up mode. It would be picky to beat it up for a winpy magnet and a display that is a bit on the small side and not backlit, but those improvements would make it practically perfect and a steal at the asking price of $25. As it is, it is a value at the open box price of $19.

Post subject: Re: Thermoworks other products
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:33 pm 

Thanks for the review of the ThermoPop, Jim. You'll be glad to know you just enabled me the next time I get a sale email from ThermoWorks. I was interested to read your comments on the TimeStick -- I bought 2 of them a while back when they were on sale. I really like that it continues to beep at intervals no matter how long it's been since it went off. The Pampered Chef timers I've used for years stop beeping entirely after a couple of minutes, and once in a while I need a longer reminder.

The one thing about the TimeStick, though, that I find annoying is that the default is clock mode. So every time I grab it I have to first push the Mode button to get to timer. That makes no sense to me when it is bound to be used primarily as a timer. And I think the buttons are a bit small. Those two things make me still instinctively reach for the PF timers if they're on the fridge. I'm still glad I have the TimeSticks, but they would have really hit it out of the park if they'd made it a teeny bit bigger with the timer as the default.

Post subject: Re: Thermoworks other products
PostPosted: Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:42 pm 

jim262 wrote:

It probably was a mistake to buy them both at the same time since it gave me an excuse to spend a whole day mindlessly recording the temperature of my coffee then plunging the thermometer into an ice slurry so I could use my new timer in the count-up mode to test the response time of the thermometer.

:lol: :lol: :lol: