Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:38 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sprializer
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:16 pm 

Jim - I like how you think. Almost any kitchen gadget can be rationalized in terms of opportunity cost. All those martinis I didn't have last weekend, make a spiralizer or almost anything (within reason) easy to justify. I'll keep you posted if I take the plunge. Thank you!

Fuzzy - spell police taking the night off? What's the hoard coming to.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:55 pm 

FEAR! :o :lol:

Besides, I didn't want to risk being sprialled......................... :shock: :lol: :roll: :!:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:43 am 

I had some aging beets in my refrigerator, so I tried the blog's recipe for spiralized beet and goat cheese salad. I ignored her cooking instructions, which would have left the beets barely warmed let alone cooked, and I wanted cooked beets.

I spiralized the raw, peeled beets (over the sink!) and put them on a baking sheet, tossed with some olive oil and salt and pepper. I baked at 400 for 10 mins, then broiled for 10, tossed, broiled for 10 min until I got some crispy bits. The resulting beets were remarkably like noodles, which wasn't actually what I was going for, but they were really good.

I tossed them with some red wine vinegar, piled into a bowl and topped with some goat cheese, pecans and a bit of smoked turkey breast. We really liked it, and we will be making this again. 3 medium beets were more than enough dinner for two people. I'll have to try more of her recipes (or at least the techniques).

--Lisa

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:46 am 

Oh, on a secondary but amusing note, I bought my sprializer thing from eBay a couple of years ago when all the ones on Amazon where super expensive. It was the cheapest one I could find. Turns out that it is more expensive than the official WS Spiralizer. Pro: cheap replaceable blades; Con: No suction cup feet, which would be very, very handy.

http://www.amazon.com/Benriner-BN5-Turn ... 094&sr=1-6

--Lisa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:17 am 

I just got an offer from Sur la Table for this one http://www.surlatable.com/product/PRO-1 ... ral+Slicer for $35 and $10 off with promo code "pastry". I have another one
that I have seldom used because it didn't work very well so was considering it. Deb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 12:00 am 

Steve ordered this one from Amazon (prime) but is not entirely happy with it. I was considering the Paderno instead. Any thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:27 am 

Cook's Illustrated has some thoughts that they posted as a web extra mini review in the September\October issue..

The only recommended model out of the three tested is the Paderno World Cuisine A4982799 Tri-Blade Plastic Spiral Vegetable Slicer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:04 am 

Thank you, Jim, for this reference. I think I'll give it a spin....

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:01 pm 

Has anyone tried the Benriner spiralizer? I've had such good luck with their mandoline that I'm considering this above all the others I've seen. It also looks most like the one Pierre Franey used on his tv show years ago.

Thoughts?

fitzie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:31 am 

My “need” for a spiral vegetable slicer stemmed out of boredom in the kitchen. I find that sometimes a new toy helps and this time it did. While I have not done anything exotic with the spiralizer other than sautéing/roasting a variety of vegetables, it’s come in handy for pulling together a last minute side. We’re trying to eat more veggies and less animal protein and the slicer helps with this a lot. Also, after many years of empty-nester-hood, a kid moved back home, post college, so when he asks what can he do to help with dinner, the spiralizer is ready and waiting! Really reminds me of the playdoh fun factory…

I bought the tri-blade Paderno from Amazon but a four blade one was recently announced for purchase.

http://www.amazon.com/Paderno-World-Cuisine-4-Blade-Spiralizer/dp/B00AW3B5MM/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1411482284&sr=8-4&keywords=paderno

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next