Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:22 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Sprializer
PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:30 pm 

Deb, please report back once you've used it for other vegetables! And good thinking on that pre-retirement planning ;)

Emilie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:08 am 

Emilie, an update on this. Apples peeled and sliced perfectly after cutting off each end. Peeling potatoes didn't work as well as quite a bit of the ends needed to be cut (or you can leave alone and peel later). Peels were a bit thicker than doing manually. Cucumbers peeled and sliced perfectly. My zucchini wasn't perfectly straight and I wanted them peeled this time (unlike the first time). Peeling was a bit haphazard. All in all, I like it. It is pretty long at about 11". I think I can now nearly warrant a cupboard for KitchenAid attachments. Gulp! Deb

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:56 am 

Wanted to report in about the KA spiralizer attachment - I was given a SLT gift card and used it for one about a month ago. After 20% discount it was $80 and sooooo worth it! It peels and slices/spiralizes really well with almost zero effort. Of course I had just bought the 3 blade Paterno model before I saw this new attachment. Hopefully I can sell it on Craigs List with my manual apple peeler/slicer as a bonus. But even if not, I really really like this new toy!

Emilie

p.s. Thanks for the update, Deb. Somehow I missed it until I just posted the above. You're right about the potatoes being a bit haphazard, so I just peeled the ends beforehand. Just took a few seconds. Healthy zoodles, etc. have definitely taken a back seat around here to curly fries, at least for now :)

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 11:55 am 

I got the KA spiralizer for Christmas. After a couple of tries I am finding it very finicky, at least on hard veggies. It does a great job, but it takes a lot of babying, and it leaves a huge chunk at the end wasted.

I think my biggest complaint is the thickness of the noodles. I have an older Japanese manual model that I may keep just because it has a very fine shredding blade, like for the daikon / carrot garnish at Japanese restaurants. So, I love not having to do hard veggies by hand anymore, but it isn't perfect.

--Lisa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 1:11 pm 

Lisa, I bet you could return it. I love the padermo referred to earlier in this thread. I do not keep my ka mixer on the counter so an attachment is less of a draw, plus it's pricey, but after all it was a gift....

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2016 8:03 pm 

I will keep it, even with it's flaws it is way better than doing the spiralizing by hand for a hard butternut squash. We do have our original one, so if we need fine shreds we can use that. I am hoping KA will come out with additional blades.

And, if I use it twice a year to peel apples for pie, I will be quite content. :)

--Lisa

PostPosted: Fri Jan 08, 2016 12:26 pm 

Steve bought the Paderno and used a couple of times, and then forgot about it. I just saw that Amazon has it for $99.99 on Prime.

So my questions are will it work with winter squashes? How about peeling D'Anjou pears?

I am not fond of sweet potatoes, but the rest of the family loves them. I found that Japanese sweet potatoes are not as sweet so maybe I could learn to like those if fun to eat.