Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:21 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: My Foodsaver is on its way out...
PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 10:38 pm 

though it is 11 years old, so it really doesn't owe me anything!

I replaced the gasket, and it's still not sealing well - I have to press down hard on it, to get it to suck the air out, which is sort of like what the cheap ones needed way back when I got this! It was nice setting it to seal, and turning around and starting the next bag while it finished on its own.

I recall some discussions on the subject, though not in the last couple of years. Any recommendations, or any that anybody WOULDN'T buy? I remember some models that wasted a very wide piece of plastic that some people were not so satisfied with!

Post subject: Re: My Foodsaver is on its way out...
PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 12:56 am 

The last one I got bothered me at first because of the extra space, but apart from that I love it now that I actually follow directions when I use it. This is the one I have FOOD SAVER V4865. I got it at Costco.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 6:08 am 

Dave,
Did you play with the little button that activates the vacuum when you close the lid. I can adjust mine and had to when I first got my machine and have done so a couple of times over the years. Mine turns like a screw.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:45 am 

I had to replace mine that was at least 10 years old (I loved it) it got stuck in the closed position and I couldn't get it open.
I bought this one:http://www.costco.com/FoodSaver%c2%ae-4880-2-in-1-System.product.100071662.html
I like having the roll storage inside the unit along with a cutter.
The upright design does save a bit of counter space too. It is a bit more automated than I'd prefer - my old unit was perfect but it's dead now.

Last edited by Linda on Tue Aug 19, 2014 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:20 am 

I have the Foodsaver V3820 from Costco - love it!

BTW, I just checked Costco reviews and a lot of people hate it :!:

:roll: :shock: :?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:53 pm 

talanhart wrote:
Dave,
Did you play with the little button that activates the vacuum when you close the lid. I can adjust mine and had to when I first got my machine and have done so a couple of times over the years. Mine turns like a screw.

I checked mine, and it doesn't look like it's adjustable, but that doesn't seem to be the problem. Maybe whatever pulls down on those hooks on both sides - it is pulling, but just not hard enough.

I'm not crazy about the upright vesions. I have mine slid under a wooden shelf, which I have things sitting on. Hopefully, I won't have to make another, though it wasn't difficult.

Last edited by pepperhead212 on Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 4:06 pm 

After some serious researching of Foodsavers, I realize that most of the models they sell now are the vertical ones - what I don't want - except the cheap models, or the gamesaver kind, which still seemed too large, plus the fact that I would be paying for 12v DC capability, which I would never use. I also noticed that the warrantee on all of them, in addition to all of the other brands I checked out, was for one year - none with 5 year warrantees, like my old one had. What's up with that? Are they expecting them to break down sooner now?

When I checked out Cabela's, which is where I got my first FS, they had one that looked the best of any I looked at, and is actually Cabelas Brand Vacuum Sealer. It is another one of those with 12v DC capability that I'd never use, but otherwise, it looks good, and the size is right (though I will have to build another shelf to go over it, since it is a little thicker, as they all are now). I may disassemble mine, to see if I can make it pull the top down harder, but I'm not optimistic.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:29 am 

Thanks for bringing this topic up Dave, I too am in the market for a food saver and have a Cabela's not too far away.....I am going to check it out! I'll look forward to a report on how you like it.

Karen

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:37 pm 

I ordered it tonight, Karen. I fooled around with the mechanism of mine, but it only made it worse, and after Foodsavering several lbs of beans from my garden (with more to come), I had to get something! I'll post my experiences with it here.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:54 am 

I use my Foodsaver every single day. So much so that when my last one started having problems, I bought a spare, which is in its box out in the garage. I fixed the one that was having problems by getting a new gasket for it and it lasted another year until it recently locked up in the closed position. So I've used my spare on a couple of occasions now. It's a pretty basic model but it's good in a pinch.