Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:49 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My Foodsaver is on its way out...
PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:10 pm 

I got my Preservac Premium yesterday, and played around with it, and so far I like it, though it is not as automatic as my old Foodsaver. The lid has to be pressed down to latch it, and the buttons on the end pressed to release it, so that will just take getting used to. The roll cutting is also a bit awkward, in comparison, though again, it will take getting used to. It has slightly less waste when putting as little of the bag as possible over the gasket (around 1/2" vs. 3/4"), so that's a plus (some models I have heard terrible things about, like 1 1/2" of waste!). It also seems to make a slightly wider heat seal. I had gotten in the habit of making a second seal on my Foodsaver, as that narrow seal would sometimes break, though I think that was in the beginning, when I was using the lower settings, which would heat for less time, as well as vac for less time. In the Preservac the "Wet" setting heats for longer, though the Dry seems to make a good seal, as well, that I could not pull apart. The suction was very good, and fast - something I haven't seen for a long time, with those bad gaskets! I haven't done any meat or wet veggies yet, to see how it will seal - I'll post an update when I do some more beans! It also has the suction tube for the canisters, and a pulsating mode for marinating, though I have never used that before (has anyone here had any luck speeding up brining or marinating using this?).

Another thing I liked about it was the size - it just BARELY fit under my shelf, and only sticks out about 1/2", so I can keep the old one!

Now I'm wondering if this will last me 11 years. :?: :|

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:48 am 

Sounds good so far, Dave....Of course, I have yet to play with mine :(

Karen

PostPosted: Mon Aug 31, 2015 2:41 pm 

I picked this up at Costco in Mass. last week - http://www.costco.com/FoodSaver%C2%AE-F ... 48601.html

My f/s won't suck anymore and like Dave I figured it didn't owe me anything. In store was $50 after the rebate so worth a gamble. I can return to Costco here if I hate it.

Anyone have this model?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:12 am 

I have one similar to this Jean and it's okay. My main beef with it is the bags I have to use. I bought a case of bags that were resealable on the other end. They were smooth and worked fine in my old unit. They won't vacuum in the newer model (but will seal). They do have a smooth surface rather than the textured ones so I think that makes the difference. I also think it is intentional so I'll have to use the more expensive bags. Deb

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:53 am 

I also use my Foodsaver almost daily, and have been thinking about getting a new one b/c mine has gotten finicky lately (sometimes it stays on one blue light and just keeps vacuuming). But I couldn't decide on a model. BB&B has the same one I've had for years, but I figured there must be some improvements since the 5+ years ago I bought this one. I don't have the counterspace for the bigger Costco model, and just noticed when I was there the other day that they also have this new one in stock. Will probably give it a try.

[url]http://www.costco.com/FoodSaver®-FM2100-Vacuum-Sealer.product.100148601.html[/url]

Emilie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:36 pm 

Deb, that's the problem I have with mine. It either just keeps sucking even when it looks done and won't seal or more frustratingly stops the vacumn and seals at a whim.
Emilie, I picked it up at the West Springfield store in Mass so it's likely that most have them on the shelf I would think. Canada only has the bigger and more expensive model and I don't need all the options. Maybe if I ever use the anova I'll have wished to get the version with the wet option but I'm just happy to be able to portion out large blocks of cheese again.