Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Ninja vs. Vitamix
PostPosted: Sat Nov 09, 2013 9:34 pm 

So we were at Costco the other day and they were demoing the Vitamix. We have a very very old one with both a wet and dry 64 oz. containers (Costco special). I hate the tall containers and the demo lady was offering the smaller dry one for $99 (usually $145). She said she made smoothies in it every morning, so we bought it. Steve hated it. Even with longer time, his smoothies were still grainy. He ended putting them in the big one to finish. So not worth the money. It went back.

On the current coupon book Costco has the Ninja for $149. We thought ok., $50 bucks more, but it fit under the counter, had big and small and individual containers, etc. So we bought it. Side by side with the old Vitamix no comparison. The old Vitamix won not even close. No matter how long, everything was not as smooth as we are used to having. I did not try it against my Cuisinart since I won't give that up for any machine, but I guess if one didn't have a good FP it might work. Ninja going back to Costco as well.

Now, of course, DH is thinking of replacing the old one with a newer model. I am leaving it up to him (he can buy himself that instead of a new Craftsman whatever), since about the only time I use it is for making Cuban cracker crumbs, or super smooth soups (mostly I just use KA immersion blender). W-S has what appears to be a good deal on the Pro 750 till the end of the month (additional container only $50). Any input on the Pro 750 would be welcome.

Post subject: Re: Ninja vs. Vitamix
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:26 am 

I love my Pro 750. I thought I wouldn't use the preset programs but I almost never use anything else now. Love the walk away feature of the smoothie setting and the self clean one. The old containers will fit the pro 750, so you can keep them as spares or for those things like vinaigrette a where the taller, more narrow container might be a bonus. I also have the 48 oz wet container which works well for smaller amounts, and the dry container which doesn't work well for liquids, but works well for grating Parmesan, chopping nuts, doing bread crumbs, and other jobs where you don't want a purée (I got it at the Costco special price, and like it for dry stuff). I have almost never used the tamper for a smoothie using the jar it came with. The wide jar seems to suck pretty much everything down onto the blade. You do need it for hummus and frozen sorbet though. If I had to do the small wet jar choice again though I'd go with the 32 oz wet container rather than the 48oz. I wanted it for days when it is just me at home, and the 48 oz is still quite big for a single smoothie.

My only complaint is that since the blade recall, my large container doesn't seem quite as efficient. I'm not 100% sure it's the container though, as around the same time I switched to using frozen instead of fresh fruit. There is always a small chunk or two left in the bottom of the mix after the smoothie setting is done. The smoothie (with flax, spinach, almond milk, protein powder and frozen berries) is smooth except for these few small chunks. I find them when they block my straw.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:31 am 

If I had to choose between the dry container and my of though, the FP would win hands down. I like the dry container for all those small odd jobs where the FP would be a lot to pull out for, and because I'm lazy and like the self clean cycle. I like hummus made in the vitamix better though. It's more of a pita, but comes out velvety smooth plus you can use sesame seeds instead of tahini which I never have on hand.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:33 pm 

Love the idea of being able to make hummus directly with sesame seeds, rather than making the tahini first. Though the tahini is pretty easy to make, just a pita to clean. I make a batch and freeze it in 2 TBS. portions.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 8:02 pm 

Alina,

I use the recipe from the Vitamix cookbook:

Vitamix Hummus

2 15-oz cans chickpeas, one drained, one with liquid
1/4 cup raw sesame seeds
1 tbs olive oil
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup water
1 garlic clove
1 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp salt

Add to container in order listed. Use purée setting. Use tamper if needed. I season to taste with sesame oil and extra lemon.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 9:20 pm 

Thank you so much. copied.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 3:24 pm 

Here I thought I invented the sesame seed/tahini/VM hack...

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:09 pm 

I have also done this when I happened to be out of tahini, or when running low, so I wouldn't be totally out. If this was all I used tahini for, I wouldn't bother making it - just use seeds!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:22 pm 

Thanks for the info and recipe!