Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 6:15 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Recipe Development Tools
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 8:54 am 

Hi,

I recently splurged on some new recipe development tools that have really been useful.

Tim

Post subject: Re: Recipe Development Tools
PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:18 am 

Tim enjoy. I have the adjust ones and use them all the time (the 2 cup the most). The little jigger looks useful. My mini glass ones are losing their lines, so I've put that in clear in my Amazon for later cart. I wish I could justify more measuring spoons, those look really useful, but I have 2 complete sets (1/8 to 2 TBS.) American and 2 English ones, so DH would not be happy.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 1:39 pm 

Tim
I hadn't seen the angled one-cup from OXO....you may have just enabled me.
Love the adjustable beakers.....use mine all the time
Thanks

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 11:33 pm 
Site Admin

Tim,

That's pretty much a list of measuring devices I would never buy for various usability reasons. So I'm curious as to why you find them useful; did I dismiss them too quickly?

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 3:03 am 

Don't know about the OXO, but the Kitchen Art ones I have are very steady, even the little one. The tiny one is very cute, but hard to fill because of its size. I end up using the 2 cup all the time and add liquids to it on top of soft solids and there is no spillage.

In one review, someone complained that it moved when adding shortening etc. I find that if I push it up, put in some, move it down add some more until I get to the desired mark, it works really well. However, sometimes I just put it to the mark and add stuff until level, pushing down with rubber spatula.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 7:31 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
Tim,

That's pretty much a list of measuring devices I would never buy for various usability reasons. So I'm curious as to why you find them useful; did I dismiss them too quickly?

Fuzzy,

The small Oxo beakers are tall and narrow simplifying accurate measurements. It is very easy to get a 1ml measurements that are too small to weigh. I've been working of replication of spice blends and these make it easy.

The spoons have a round end and an oval end. The oval end makes it easy to pour ingredients into the narrowest beakers. Easy entry into a spice bottle and pouring is the primary advantage of the oval shape.

The older adjustable measuring cups were a nightmare because they didn't hold their position. The Oxo solves this with a slide that locks the position.

The larger silicone cup has lots of accurate measures that are much easier to sight than a Pyrex cup. It also has a snap on lid.

I've been working of replication of spice blends using the smaller Oxo beakers. These make it easy to get very accurate measurements in quantities too small to weigh.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:03 am 

I bought this gram scale: http://www.amazon.com/American-Weigh-Sc ... Gram+scale

Now nothing is too small to weigh. I love it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2013 11:39 pm 
Site Admin

Tim,

I can see that. Makes me wonder if I could find surplus scientific beakers somewhere for cheaper/better. The problem I've had with silicone measuring stuff is that since it flexes, it's inherently inaccurate. Glad to know the OXO push-up measuring cup works; we just bought one recently. The angled measuring cups don't work for me.

Becky,

I have several American Weigh scales which I use for ceramics. Do keep in mind that these are "tension" scales, which means you need to calibrate them when you first get them, and several times a year thereafter. But they are remarkably good quality considering the price; I've bought 7 for various things (including a class I taught), and only one so far has been completely broken.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2013 7:39 am 

I'm with you; the angled measurers don't work for me either. And, I don't care for the plastic they're made of. I like the heft of Pyrex. I have a whole shelf of them I use mostly for baking. Although yesterday I ate my chicken noodle soup out of one that had just come from the m/w.
The push-up measurers are a wonderful tool. The best thing ever for shortening, peanut butter, molasses, honey, anything gooey. Mine's not an Oxo but it works just fine and I've used it a lot.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 11, 2013 10:11 am 

Hi,

Having used all of these tools, I have some comments:

Progressive Snap Fit Measuring Spoons: We've used these for two years. They are the only ones we reach for on a regular basis.

Oxo Measuring beakers: These are remarkable for anal retentive cooks and recipe development - I love them.

Oxo One Cup Adjustable Measuring Beaker: The two internal track guides allow the inside to swivel; three guides would be perfect. The lack of a pouring lip is even more disturbing. (reminds me of All-Clad) This is being returned.

Oxo 2 Oz. Stainless Mini-Angled Measuring Cup: Cute, sturdy and pretty useless.

Chef'n Sleekstor 4 cup Silicone Measuring Beaker with Lid: Fuzzy, you should take a second look at this. This is a very nice design with reinforced silicone covering almost the whole exterior so it does not collapse when held by hand. About 15% is not reinforced and provides measurements and the ability to squeeze the pouring spout. (You can pour liquid into a wine bottle) It provides very accurate measurements and no meniscus problems. This one is really worth buying for $14.

Tim