Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pressure cooker accuracy?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:18 am 

So I've been loving my huge pressure cooker I got for canning about 6 months or so ago, especially after I got the little rocker attachment with weights that keeps it at 11 pounds, which is the only pressure I've needed so far. This weekend I made a huge batch of chicken broth and canned it in two batches. My problem is that the little rocker didn't start doing its thing until about 15 pounds of pressure (and I had the correct weight on it), and even then, it didn't keep it consistent. So I just ignored the rocker and monitored the pressure gauge for the required amount of time. Same thing happened with the second batch I canned.

So this morning I figured I'd test it with just water, and sure enough, same deal. Also, I noticed that the gauge needle on mine is actually resting at 2, rather than 0. But I'm not sure if that's a red flag or not (didn't notice one way or another in the past).

So If any of you pressure cookers ( :lol: ) have any ideas or experience with the issue, I'd sure appreciate it. I feel confident that the 13 quarts of beautiful broth in my pantry is okay (I'll boo hoo if not -- that stuff is like gold), but obviously I need to get to the bottom of it before I pressure can anything again.

Thanks!

Emilie

Post subject: Re: Pressure cooker accuracy?
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:25 am 

I've never tested mine just sort of know how long it should take to start. What brand of cooker do you have?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 3:13 pm 

Hi Alina. It's this one: Presto 01781 23-Quart Pressure Canner and Cooker. I think it's a great model -- I'm thinking it's possible the lid or gauge might have banged against the wall in the closet where I keep it. I just don't know how to make sure the gauge is accurate or why the rocker thingee didn't work this time like it did in the past. It kept it exactly at 11 when I used it before.

Emilie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 8:06 pm 

Emily, I have that same model, but I've never used it for canning. I do have another Presto that I thought might need a new valve. I called for to check on size and the folks very helpful. Told me what to try before buying a new part. One even called me back even though I did not leave a message. this is the one I called . The other was in Arizona.

Mine is stored deep in a cabinet, but I do turn the lid upside down to protect it a bit.