Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 10:04 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Refrigerators...
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:25 pm 

ivy wrote:
lexycat wrote:
Ivy, yours is the exact model I was most looking at getting. I felt very apprehensive after reading consumer comments that the interior tempuratures were not maintained well and that the icemaker was very problematic. Are you happy with the temperature control, especially the produce bins? And, have you had any icemaker issues? Thanks so much!!

Lexy -

Congrats on your purchase. I hope you like the fridge. To answer your question, I have not had problems with maintaining internal temperature. About the ice maker, it is small but seems to keep up with our demand. If I were having a party and needed ice I would buy a bag to have on hand and not depend solely on the ice maker. Every now and then when it hasn't been operated for awhile the ice gets stuck in the ice maker. Simply open the ice maker, give the ice bucket a shake and it will start working again. Good luck.

Thank you, Ivy. Glad to hear that! We take delivery in a couple weeks. Looking forward to it!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 8:34 pm 

Da Bull Man wrote:
Kathy's Pete wrote:
Da Bull Man wrote:
The only downside is the little indicator stays on saying it is time to change your filter.
Can't you just lie to the fridge and insist that you've replaced the filter?

There is always a lil' piece of tape... :mrgreen:
That's where I'm OCD. Can't cover a warning light - I'd still know.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:18 pm 

And, after a short while your ice starts tasting weird, and your water has an off flavor and odor. Or at least that's what happens when we don't promptly change the filters in the fridge at mom's house.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:19 am 

Da Bull Man wrote:
jim262 wrote:
If your fridge is plumbed with standard ¼" copper or plastic, a very inexpensive in-line water filter may be able to replace your inside the unit filter or at least allow it to last twice to three times as long as the recommendation of six months an 200 gallons of water.

Omni R200 Refrigerator and Icemaker Water Filter

We did just as Jim suggested...much better than the manufacturer filter.

I cannot visualize this. It goes behind and on the outside of the fridge? Do you have to cut into the copper line to connect the filter? TIA.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:50 am 

Yes, Ivy, the line needs to be cut. The refrigerator water line probably starts at a 1/2" copper cold water pipe with saddle valve that acts as a shutoff. Some filters have push in fittings that claim to be leak proof. Others may have a variety of other fittings-mostly compression.

My filter is in the basement about a foot away from the saddle valve and remains tucked away in a joist. Next most likely spot for the saddle valve is under the sink and there may room there for a filter.

Behind the fridge may not be the best solution if access requires a lot of movement of the fridge.

If your refrigerator water line starts at a point under your sink, you may want to consider filtering all of the cold water in your kitchen with cartridge system that is easy to replace. I am considering a drinking water filter project the next time I have my sink plumbing apart.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:58 am 

Thank you, Jim. Tucking it in the basement is a great idea. Can't wait to try it and start $aving on those filters.

Any tricks for the air filter?! 8-)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 11:02 am 

jim262 wrote:
If your refrigerator water line starts at a point under your sink, you may want to consider filtering all of the cold water in your kitchen with cartridge system that is easy to replace. I am considering a drinking water filter project the next time I have my sink plumbing apart.

This is exactly what we did. Since our fridge wasn't close to the sink, we hid the line (we used copper) behind the shoe moulding. Having the filter under the sink was a pain, so we moved it directly below the sink on the wall in the basement laundry. It's so much easier to change the filters. And then we didn't have to use a saddle valve, which are notorious leakers.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:10 pm 

I love my French Door fridge (Electrolux). There is less storage in the door though because of the water/ice dispenser than in regular door models without them. I would never go back to being without the dispenser though. It's just so handy!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 1:05 am 

Darcie wrote:
Having the filter under the sink was a pain, so we moved it directly below the sink on the wall in the basement laundry. It's so much easier to change the filters. And then we didn't have to use a saddle valve, which are notorious leakers.

OMG, now why didn't I think of that? So obvious, yet not. Under the sink takes a lot of room, and is indeed a PITA to change filters. I may well move mine on the next filter change and reclaim my under-the-sink!.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 7:51 am 

If you're like me and are handyman-less, there are filters available online much cheaper than at the retail outlets.
I just ordered three for my Kenmore Elite that approach $60 each at Sears. http://www.filtersfast.com/4396710-Whirlpool-refrigerator-water-filter-9020.asp. #
Note that I get my (bulk) furnace filters from the same place for a much better price than Lowe's or HD.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 42 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next