Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Refrigerators...
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:35 pm 

I assume this is permitted under Miscellaneous. Wondering if anyone has a good or bad comment about a french door refrigerator. I am trying to decide among a few brands and keep seeing so many conflicting consumer ratings. I like the Kenmore Elite French Door the best as far as the layout of the storage, but see negative comments, for example, "food doesn't stay cold"! I find that hard to believe... Also looking at the LG and Samsung. Thanks for any opinions you may wish to share. Lexycat

Post subject: Re: Refrigerators...
PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:41 pm 

My SIL has an LG French Door, and when I stayed with her for two weeks earlier this Spring, I gotta say I was at first dubious, but at the end of our trip had totally fallen in love with it.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 3:51 pm 

We have an LG French door with a bottom freezer. We love it...

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:21 pm 

Thank you both!

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 6:39 pm 

I too was skeptical. We recently bought a french door with two lower drawers (one meat/etc drawer, on freezer, samsung) and it is a revelation. Really it is the lower freezer that makes the huge difference, but it really is night and day.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:34 pm 

My SIL also has a Kenmore FD and loves all aspects of it. I do too, except for the beeping sound when the doors are open for more than 30 seconds. It gets annoying when you're unpacking a big shopping trip and need to keep the doors open, or are reorganizing. I know, a little OCD, but that's just another thought and perhaps something that can be easily changed/unhooked.

PostPosted: Fri May 31, 2013 7:49 pm 

We replaced a 13-year-old Whirlpool Gold side-by side with an LG french door about a month ago. No regrets. Having a usable freezer again is great. Still getting the zones adjusted so we don't freeze the spinach in the crisper drawer...

We've had door mishaps in the past so the door alarm has become a necessary feature. But it's easy to turn it off.

PS: One of the Korean brands is releasing a new fridge model that dispenses carbonated water via a sodastream cartridge. Tempting but pretty expensive (and I don't think it fits into our fridge slot).

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 10:24 am 

We bought the Kenmore Elite 31 cu ft with 2 doors + freezer on bottom (made by LG) and have no regrets. We'd never had a front dispenser before and having crushed & cubed ice plus filtered water is really convenient. If I had to list negatives they would be the "consumables" and I am not talking about food. The filters for water and air "need" to be replaced every 6 months and are pricey. I replace them once a year. I bought some fridge binz for condiments that did not fit on the relatively small left hand door. Be prepared when you call for service. Diagnostics are done by putting your phone up to the fridge and they download info/readings. For instance, they told me how many times the fridge was opened and for how long. The first time I experienced this it really felt like big brother!

I've been really happy with Sears & their extended warranty agreements. They recently replaced my washer for "FREE" ($1000 credit) per the T & C's due to equipment failures.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 01, 2013 1:29 pm 

Ivy, yours is the exact model I was most looking at getting. I felt very apprehensive after reading consumer comments that the interior tempuratures were not maintained well and that the icemaker was very problematic. Are you happy with the temperature control, especially the produce bins? And, have you had any icemaker issues? Thanks so much!!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 02, 2013 2:35 am 

Lexy, the refrigerator you want is the one I would like as well. We now have a side by side Kenmore Elite we bought 1/25/2006. We had problems with the ice maker early on, but Sears fixed it under warranty (they even left us a replacement part they'd ordered but was not needed) and it has been functioning perfectly ever since. Our current maintenance is not up till April 2015 so no new till then as least :cry: The filter is expensive, but DH found a place online that is cheaper than getting it from Sears even with the coupons they give you.

We have had excellent service from Sears maintenance. They fixed our dryer (we broke the plastic door handle). While they were here, we've had them fix our front loader Maytag washer (1994, not under maintenance) a couple of times and it is still working. It costs only $65.00 (dryer free under maintenance). I think that is a very reasonable price for a home repair.