Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Candy thermometers and deep fry thermometers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:53 am 

Are these the same thing (i.e. can they be used interchangeably)? I'm making Marilyn's Toffee with a friend and I'm going to get her a toffee making kit as a gift. If I can't find a "candy" thermom can I get a frying thermom if it goes to a high enough temp??

This seems like a dumb question as I type it out, temperature is temperature no matter what the substrate.....right? :?

Help.

Post subject: Re: Candy thermometers and deep fry thermometers
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:13 am 

I usually use and oven thermometer with probe, but the analog ones I have (changing level and probe) say they do both.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 24, 2008 10:52 am 

I ended up getting a combo deepfry/candy model by CDN. It is framed in metal, unlike my "candy" thermom that just has a bare naked glass end. We will be using them today in tandem to make two simultaneous batches of toffee. :!:

Lynn

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 4:57 am 

All seem to be total nonsense. I have 7 including one digital and all read a slightly different temperature. The digital seems ok but I think it's reading a bit high. i.e. I've been keeping it at 25 but think the tank is running more like 24.

Is there a sure fire way I can get an accurate one off reading and then at least know how far out my digital one is?

Dunno if the thermometers in home medicine kits are any more accurate??

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 5:56 am 

Water boils at 212F at sea level and that temperature falls one degree for every 500 feet above sea level. I live at 2,000 feet above sea level so when testing my thermometers in boiling water I know I am only going to get to 208. The beauty of dial thermometers is the ability to calibrate them by holding the stem and dialing the face to the appropriate number. Probes usually cannot be calibrated but you can make a note of the difference, likewise all of your thermometers. Since water freezes at 32F regardless of elevation, you can make a slurry of ice and water, let it stabilize by letting it sit for about 5 minutes, give it a stir to eliminate any disparities and 'take the plunge'., so to speak :)
Frankly, in my experience, the differences don't amount to that hill of beans you left out of Frank's chili :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 8:22 am 

Wow...I even have you working my chili into the strangest of places.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:39 pm 
Site Admin

Lynn,

Two differences:

1. Candy thermometers are often hollow glass tubes. These will not take high temperature immersion, as opposed to the metal probes of deep-fry thermometers which will.

2. Deep-fry thermometers are often calibrated and usable between 200F and 450F. Candy Thermometers are expected to be used at 100F to 300F and often won't record beyond that range. However, a good general-purpose instant-read thermometer can often do from 75F to 400F.

I have two general-purpose instant-read thermometers: a Taylor and an Sur Le Table house-brand. Both have worked pretty well and were under $20 each.

Important tip: if using digital thermometers, always have two. Otherwise, the battery will go out on one when you're at the critical stage of a giant batch!

Linda,

Medical thermometers are much more accurate, but usually won't measure above 110F. In general, when buying digital thermometers, insist on turning them on in the store and checking them against a known-good thermometer, or each other. Mind you, that doesn't tell you about inaccuracy at high temperatures, but most thermometers which are off will be off at room temperature as well.