Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu May 09, 2024 12:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Countertop Convection oven
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:16 pm 

I have had it with my oven. Replacing it right now is not really possible. I am looking at getting a countertop convection oven. I know next to nothing about these, but I have a few friends that have purchased inexpensive ones that they love. I was looking at the Breville at WS, but there seems to be not so great customer service with Breville. I would like one that would hold my 13x9 pyrex glass bakers. They do have handles and I feel this may be a problem. I'm just wondering if anyone out there has any experience, or any info. I thought this subject was brought up on the board (maybe it was TOBB) before , but my poor searching skiils could not find it......

Thanks for any thoughts.........GO BUCKEYES! Karen

Post subject: Re: Countertop Convection oven
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:33 pm 

I love my Breville Smart oven. I bought it when my stove was being replaced on warrantee (which took 6 weeks), and I have used it every day (toast for breakfast, cooking for dinner more days than not) for over a year with no problems. Edit: I'm pretty sure it will fit a 9 x 13...I can check if you like.

As for customer service, the phone people are not helpful (I had to return my coffee maker under warrantee), but once I emailed in the receipt along with a description of the problem, they replaced my unit no questions asked, and paid for the shipping both ways (arranged to have a courier pick my unit up, and I had the new one in about 5 days). So I have no complaints. Plus, if you buy at WS you get their return policy too.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 12:47 pm 

Thanks Carey......I would love to know the inside dimensions of your unit!!!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:11 pm 

I have a Breville convection toaster oven and love it as well. Use it way more than my regular oven. It will fit a 13" pizza pan, small regular cookie sheet. Have not tried a 9X13. This is the one I have.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 5:21 pm 

I recently bought the Breville Smart Oven; it was the only one with good enough reviews, IMO. I have been extremely pleased with it; outside of its size, it is superior to my regular oven.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:19 pm 

This doesn't help you any modelwise, since this is long since out of production, but I have a Farberware countertob from '77, and it is still going strong today. I have baked countless loaves of bread in there (holds three 1 1/2 lb loaves), and still use it for more things than my regular oven. It is almost exactly 12x18 inside, and will bake a 10 1/2x 15" jelly roll pan but 9x13 is the max. size I find cooks well. I considered getting a combo MW and conv. when my MW bit the dust, but they all stuck out in front of the cupboard, and, I figured, it would probably break down before this one will!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:30 pm 

Ok, the interior dimensions are 11 x 13 7/8 (not counting the pizza curve out at the back that fits a 13 inch pizza pan). A 9 x 13 without handles will fit, but one with handles won't. If you needed to fit this size, I'd suggest buying a few sturdy metal 9x13 cake pans for that.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2012 9:46 pm 

You know, the Breville is one of the largest countertop ovens, so the more I think about it, the less I think there's anything out there that will fit a 9x13 Pyrex dish. I have a bunch of smaller dishes that I use more often like 8x8 squares or 3 qt oval dishes without handles (Emile Henry used to make them so maybe eBay?). I mainly use my quarter sheet pans as I tend to roast more than do casseroles. When I am doing casseroles, I've become a fan of individual gratin dishes because its usually only the 2 of us.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:32 am 

Thanks Everyone, I can buy some good 13x9 to use in the Breville. I think I will go over to WS and take a look.....Thanks again.

Karen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:49 am 

I don't think anyone would be disappointed with the Breville Smart Oven.
I've had mine for nearly a year now and use it more than I'd ever imagined I'd use a toaster-oven. Probably because, with the convection feature, it is just so versatile.
Mine gets used every single day, sometimes multiple times. I love that it's so fast...no more waiting for the big oven to heat up.
It really does such a wonderful job on everything I've made in it. And of course in Summer it's great that it doesn't heat up the whole kitchen.
Anyone who loves real baked potatoes will be thrilled...no more microwave potatoes just because you don't want to heat up the whole oven for just one or two.