Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:33 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Countertop Convection oven
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:33 pm 

I love my Breville as well. Made some homemade salami on it the other day and was surprised there was not as much mess as I'd expected. My tray is still looks good, but I am OCD about getting stuff out while still hot. I've never used harsh cleaners on it, since I believe that if you do it once, you have to continue doing it. I did notice that certain breads do take longer, but it is not across the board. Maybe it is the bread itself?

I am with you, I'd replace with the same if I had to do so, ditto for my Panasonic Inverter Microwave. I have only used the big oven this summer a couple of times when I baked 3 cookie sheets at once. Pretty much everything else works in the Breville.

I thought about the bamboo board too, but figured it was just for pretty, so I passed. we keep the oven trays on top now as I could not get DH to put them away, so I gave up. I also put dishes to warm on top when reheating pizza, etc. I was surprised how much I've used the warming function.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:20 pm 

Alina,

I thought it was the bread too (have been eating farmers market loaves lately)...but I went back to my normal brand and noticed the same thing, which is when I realized it was likely the oven and not the bread. Not a big deal. I'll just toast longer.

I bought the cutting board for on top and love it. It's a handy built in trivet for putting things on when they come out of the oven. I also bought the pizza stone but have never used it. I tend to use the perforated pan instead for frozen pizzas and for warming up home made leftover pizza.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 8:37 pm 

Thanks Carey, I chose tile for my countertops so I could put hot stuff on them. So that would not convince DH to put away the oven pans.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2013 4:07 pm 

Cleaning a Breville Smart Convection Oven is a Challenge!

This wonderful oven does such a nice job of roasting and broiling, I can't help but get fat all over the interior.

The crumb tray slowly succumbs to attack by Dawn Power Dissolver (basically oven cleaner) and De-Solv-It Contractor's Solvent (concentrated citrus oil). It really never gets really clean.

The Contractor's Solvent requires a 30 minute burn-off at high temp with lots of smoke. Yes, outdoors.

Any other chemists out there with solution?

Tim

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2013 9:18 pm 

I guess either I don't cook enough things that splatter, or I'm not fussy enough when it comes to cleaning (probably the latter). I've just used hot water on my crumb tray and to wipe down the inside of the oven. I may have used Windex multisurface once or twice (post whole chicken) and the Wegman ceramic cooktop cleaner on the glass once. Maybe crud build up is why my toasting is taking longer than when the oven was new.....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:14 am 

I get major crud build-up in my BSO as well. Probably due mostly to the pork chops and chicken thighs I cook in it. The glass window gets seriously greasy and the drip pan will never be totally clean again.
It'd be nice if one could order a replacement for the pan.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2013 8:13 am 

The glass is really easy to clean with any cleaner or even a razor blade. I turned my oven upside down and couldn't believe the grease on the top of the oven.

Post subject: Breville Smart Oven- How to Roast and Keep it Clean!
PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 11:51 am 

Hi,

We have been tenting our bacon during baking with parchment. It keeps the oven quite clean. Today, I tried the same method for convection roasting in a Breville Smart Oven.

I was roasting a chicken thigh with cajun seasoning in a carbonne steel paella. I decided to tent and tuck parchment paper on two sides. This make it easy to check the internal temp. I was roasting at 400F convection.

The results:

No fat on the front window.
    No noticeable fat on the oven walls or rack.

The chicken skin browned perfectly.
    The cajun spices did not burn like they usually do. They were protected from the radiant heat.
    The meat was much moister than normal.

There was much more schmaltz in the pan than normal. That also helps improve the pan seasoning.
    There was much less fat on the underside of the pan. Faster clean-up.

There is no reason this same technique can't be used in any oven or with any meat. You do have to watch the roasting temperature. As I learned in physics or more likely from Ray Bradbury, parchment burns at 451F.

Bring on the sausage!

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2013 12:37 pm 

Tim,

That's great to know! I wouldn't have guessed that browning would be preserved.

Since the last time this thread came up I actually turned the lights on and really looked at the inside of my oven...there's a shocking amount of grease buildup on the top that I had not noticed before (the sides and bottom were all reasonably clean as I wipe them regularly, but I guess I hadn't seen the top clearly). I suspect that this is the reason for the slower toast times. I will flip it and clean it next time I get a chance. Guess I'm doing too much roasting/broiling/frozen pizzas.

I wish they would make a self-clean version of the Breville. I would totally pay for that. Love it in my large oven....although I guess the risk of melting people's countertops and setting their cupboards on fire is probably too high.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 8:18 am 

Hi,

I found a new and better way to clean a Breville Smart Oven. Easy-Off Oven Cleaner, Fume Free in a 16 ounce hand-spray bottle.

Spray foam two inch inches from the surface. It is easy to control the amount and direction. I only sprayed the bottom surface.
    Close the oven and wait one minute to two hours. After, 15 minutes, I applied some extra as needed.
    Wipe with a damp sponge.

Best of all, this oven cleaner is much less caustic than Dawn Power Dissolver. There was no problem with bare hands.

I turned the oven-upside-down, propped the door open and sprayed the totally blackened roof. The oven became almost perfectly clean.

Next, I'll work on the sides. That will be a perfect activity for this Wednesday morning, or not!

Tim

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next