Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:21 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Range, range for the home...
PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 3:09 pm 

Oh God, that totally sucks. Hope the unemployment is short lived.

And yes, European convection is pure convection.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:54 pm 

Oh no Darcie, that is terrible. I hope he finds something soon. So sorry you have to through this again.
Mary

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 8:25 am 

Thoughts on Gas Convection Ovens?

It's time for a new range. I am very tempted to switch from dual fuel to gas for improved performance. The temptation comes from Consumer Reports ratings for Samsungs gas ranges with European convection and oven splitters and such. The build quality seems excellent.

Any objective thoughts? Thanks, tim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:01 am 

Don't know if it's part of the models you're looking at but I would stay away from the lower even. I have one on my dual fuel GE and the extra drawer/oven is truly worthless; it is so slow to heat this it's rendered useless. And, because it's way down on the bottom it's painful to get things in and out of, and a pain to clean.
I use mine to store my cast iron skillets.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:06 am 

One year ago we bought LG, model LRG3097ST.
Warming drawer is excellent, self clean is excellent, convection is excellent. 4 burners of different heat ranges and a middle griddle, etc. VERY HAPPY :D :!:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:43 pm 

My Electrolux has a bottom oven (which goes to 450 degrees) in what looks like a warming drawer. I wanted it as a 2nd oven as we didn't have space for a double wall oven, but I never use it. It heats weirdly (the tops of casseroles cook more quickly than the rest of the dish), so is really most useful as a warming drawer (which I never use because it's too much of a pain to bend down that far). Instead I use my Breville Smart Oven as my 2nd oven (and honestly, I use it more often than my regular oven unless I am cooking for company as I am usually cooking for 2 people). The over the range microwave also functions as a regular oven, so in a pinch I would use that instead of the bottom one if given a choice.

I've had the same thoughts about my "pure" convection setting. I never use it.

I have come to really like my induction cooktop though. I miss gas for a few things like heating tortillas or blackening peppers, cooking during power outages (which are rare), and just for the romance of the click-click-whoosh part of it, but honestly, the induction does a better job of heating quickly, slowing down quickly, and maintaining a steady simmer on things. I also don't miss my medic alert bracelet heating up and searing me as I'm trying to stir things, or waiting 20 minutes for a large pot of water to boil. I do miss the look though and the use of some of my non-magnetic pans (like my 8qt LTD pot and my Emile Henry flame top casseroles which have now become my microwave staple dishes).

What I would NOT recommend is purchasing Electrolux appliances. In the 3 years we have had ours (bought new by us), we have replaced every single one of them, more than once. The stove arced on first use (6 weeks to replacement) and now the control panel on the new one is sagging, the fridge started dispensing water and ice by itself in the middle of the night (flooded the house and required an $$$ insurance claim) due to a defective solenoid (which took 8 weeks to repair), the first microwave's handle fell off after less than a year's use, which led to the door falling off when the repair person tried to fix it, and the 2nd microwave started turning itself on and before the repair person could look at it, the door decided to not open resulting in an enormous dent...which we have waited almost 6 weeks now to have replaced under warranty. So to date we have been without a stove for + 6 weeks, a fridge for 8 weeks, and a microwave x2 for 6 weeks each time. We bought the extended warranty after being told that this was an issue (my parents also have Electrolux and have replaced/repaired every single one of their appliances under warranty at least twice)...but had I really thought it through in terms of how much time I would be out of commission in my kitchen, I would have gone a different direction. Thank goodness for the Smart Oven, a hot plate that I bought, and the extra fridge in the basement...otherwise I'm not sure how we would have gotten by.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:41 pm 

Linda wrote:
Don't know if it's part of the models you're looking at but I would stay away from the lower even. I have one on my dual fuel GE and the extra drawer/oven is truly worthless; it is so slow to heat this it's rendered useless. And, because it's way down on the bottom it's painful to get things in and out of, and a pain to clean.
I use mine to store my cast iron skillets.

This reminds me of Thanksgiving at SIL's home with a brand new Wolf double oven. I had to cook the turkey in the bottom oven, requiring me place my tush on the floor every time I opened the door. That was a miserable PIA.... The Wolves all stopped working at 2pm and dinner was finished in a gas grill and yes it was about 30 degrees.

tim

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:53 pm 
Site Admin

Coincidentally, my sweetie tells me that the electronic igniter on our oven died while I'm away. Something about January, I guess ...

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:57 pm 

I love my lower oven on the GE but don't use it unless the upper one is full, so that's probably a factor.

Carey - ouch!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:36 am 

Fuzzy - Didn't you just get a new one last year? :shock: :?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next