Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Range, range for the home...
PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:00 pm 

I can shake my pan like crazy on the grates of my gas range, but I wouldn't do the same method on a cooktop. I think it might mar the sufarce.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 1:05 pm 

I have an electric range (stovetop/oven) with a smaller oven below it - looks like a warming drawer but its actually an oven that heats to 450 degrees. I also have another independent oven. All are electric (Electrolux).

I use the range's oven the most. Tim is right - convection is good but if you have something that is sizzling - the grease gets blown around. Oven cleaning is needed pretty often, particulalry if you sear on high heat on the top and finish in a hot oven below. I use the convection a lot, I just deal with the cleanup later on. I don't use any of the features (of which there are plenty) on my oven other than convection and rapid heat (which I think turns on the convection fans when its warming up).

The range's top has 5 burners, each of which has 2-3 rings (with different wattage). Most of the time I'm using the two big front burners. These front burners (9" and 12") handle most wider pots. I didn't consider a lot of other ranges because they only had one large burner. That would have been a very serious limitation for me. It's not unusual for me to have a dutch oven on one burner and a 12" frying pan on another. The 12" burner will actually accommodate a 14" frying pan. FWIW, prior to buying these ovens, I actually measured pots/pans and then looked at burners to see how well other ranges could handle my cookware.

My range does not have a bridge. The only time that I miss having a bridge is when I want to deglaze a large roasting pan over 2 burners. That's just not going to happen - if I do - the glass inbetween the two burners will heat up and the stove will shut down completely. Then it's off to the fusebox! Instead, I deglaze the roasting pan off heat and pour the contents into another pan that fits right on top of one of the burners.

Sounds like your familiar with the importance of fitting the size of the pan with the size of the active burner so I won't go into that.

Oh - consider where the oven vents the hot air. My old (gas) oven vented in the back, this one vents in the front. The venting in the front hasn't been nearly as good.

Gerard

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:11 pm 

talanhart wrote:
I can shake my pan like crazy on the grates of my gas range, but I wouldn't do the same method on a cooktop. I think it might mar the sufarce.

I use the term cooktop generically to refer to burners...I think we have a difference of nomenclature.

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:44 pm 

Yeah no shaking of pots and pans on a smoothtop, cooktop, stovetop or whatever.

You also have to make sure that the pans are totally flat and don't warp. With warp pans (and I'm talking just a tiny bit here, like maybe 1/4"), the pan spins around when stirring unless both hands are engaged (i.e. one doing the stirring, the other steadying the pan). Worse yet, if the pan (when stirred) starts spinning and gets a few inches beyond the burner - at least in my case - the stove (top and bottom) shut off. Back to the fusebox!

The AC that I used most on my former gas stove all spun around like crazy when we moved and I started with the electric stove - probably because at some point in the past, they either got too hot or more likely - when I was finished using them, I rinshed them off with cold water. Fortunately, I was able to get them replaced. I now am very careful to wait until the pans have cooled down before washing. I also scour the bottoms of the pots very thoroughly so that residual gunk on the outside of the bottom of the pan doesn't burn onto the stove the next time I use it.

It was a steep learning curve for me in the beginning but I have the hang of it now!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 3:43 pm 

Dual ovens. I'm still peeved that my dad got rid of the dual-oven range, especially now that I have to deal with the hunk of pure electric evil that has taken its place. The stupid top element comes on in the baking cycle and burns everything. Oops, little side-rant there.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:03 pm 

Gerard wrote:
Sounds like your familiar with the importance of fitting the size of the pan with the size of the active burner so I won't go into that.
Gerard

Along with that...take your biggest pan(s) to the store to make sure they fit in the oven.
My grates bridge over the entire stove...that is a feature I LOVE instead of the individual grate on my last stove.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:52 pm 

Hi I don't have that kind of stove, but wanted to add my experience with ovens. I got the biggest oven I could fit in the space I have. My Electric Dacor has convection, convection bake, convection broil, bake, broil and self cleaning. I've used all with great success. I have baked 3 cookie sheets at a time without having to rotate. I am glad I went for the bigger oven instead of two smaller ones. Like with the Cuisinart 14 cup, I've never wished my oven was smaller and it can fit a full sheet pan. We do have a full size microwave inverter that fits a 9 X 13" pan and I large Breville convection toaster that has a keep warm function which is ideal for the 2 of us and will bake a full brownie pan.

Not sure how it would work with your burners, but I've used a grill pan over to burners to put a large pot to stay simmering. I works. The JennAir is built so you can put a griddle or a grill over two burners if needed, but I just turn the 2 burners beneath the grill sheet on. Having said that my 22 QT pressure cooker works ok over the large electric burner. My mom had a smooth top and while it looked like new after 15 years of use, I hated it. I am more likely to forget a top is hot and drop it on the stove, or drag a big pot across instead of lifting. Also if it moved off center it got no heat. Just my .02 in case it helps.

I am glad you can get the dual, I would not give up my electric oven for a gas stove, but wish a could get a gas stove (we can't really afford to bring in the gas line at this time, it was not available when we bought in 1975.)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:04 am 

Darcie,

A clarification on convection ovens. A regular convection oven is wonderful for any roasting or general heating.

Pure convection is completely different. The primary heating element behind the rear oven wall. This reduces the radient heat. The heat is blown into the primary oven chamber with the convection fan at a higher speed. The turbulence picks up grease and spreads it everywhere; a cleaning nightmare.

Tim

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 8:44 am 

Tim, do you think "European convection" is a term of art for "pure" convection?

Less than 24 hours after posting this, I learned that my husband's job (only recently acquired) has been eliminated. So the remodel is back on the shelf....sigh. But thanks for your input!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2012 11:47 am 

Darcie, that sucks. Fingers crossed on a new opportunity.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 32 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next