Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Dish towels
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:35 pm 

Thanks Mary! I guess it depends on how much they are. Let me know, but probably a half dozen.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:46 pm 

I'll note that Chef's Catalog has waffle weave towels.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 6:06 pm 

Amy wrote:
Does anyone have experience with bamboo towels?

Amy

Yes, I've used some and don't think they absorb well.
Nance

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:37 pm 

I am a bit of a dish towel junkie even though I let my dishes mostly "drip dry", it's more sanitary :) . Like others here, I only use 100% cotton or linen, depending on what I am drying. It pays to check out the discount stores , sometimes you can hit the dish towel jackpot, decent towels for cheap, but I have come up short lately in that department. Around Christmas time Crate Barrel markets some wonderful large towels, and after a few washes they soften up and absorb well. You can get decent ones from WS on sale. SLT has a nice selection too -- all available online. I also like the brand Ritzenthaler, aka Ritz. My all time favorite dish towel though is made by Le Jacquard Francais, but they are ghastly expensive and I have only received them as gifts. (Mary - I would love to know what they sell for in Europe.)

http://www.kilianhardware.com/towandclot.html

https://www.le-jacquard-francais.fr/#/us/3-2-61-639-8212/E-shop/Kitchen-textiles/Crystal-towel/Cristal/Essuie-verres-Cristal-Ardoise-80x60-100-lin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:36 pm 

Ivy,

I love Le Jacquard Francais. I have a couple of tablecloths made by them, and I pray nothing ever happens to them, because I'd never be able to afford to replace them. Thanks for the link to Kilian. Those look great!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 12:13 am 

Just looked at the site for the towels I like, Meyer-Mayor and the are about 20 bucks a pop, I think you may be better staying domestic!

http://www.meyer-mayor.ch/categories-272-0/waffeltuch

Mary

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:21 am 

A friend gave me a set of Le Jacquard Francais napkins years ago and they still look like new. They're wonderful. I used to treat myself to a birthday tea towel every year but they've gotten so expensive. But they're the best for drying glass.
fitzie

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 8:06 am 

I buy hand towels (and bath wash rags) and use them in the kitchen. I like a towel that will soak up a lot of water. Pure cotton is readily available.

Everything in my kitchen is white. Everything in the rest of the house is not. This is how I keep them apart.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 11:29 pm 

I too use bath hand towels in my kitchen. I mark the label with a K, just in case. I agree terry is worthless.

When I lived in England we joined the National Trust and visited the homes (cheap,, wonderful history, art and gardens and we could take the kids). I treated myself to a tea towel (100% cotton) whenever they were available. Ditto for other places we visited. I now have a nice collection. Some are super faded from washing. My favorite is a very large one from Cambridge that I use to dry my french fries after soaking before frying (2 step, deep fat fryer method). It is getting pretty threadbare after 30+ years of use.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 4:12 pm 

trinket wrote:
I like the waffle weave towels from WS, I know they're overpriced, but haven't found any I like as well for any less. Also like the old-fashioned flour sack towels, but they're hard to find.

Too many are a cotton blend and I hate those.

I bought 100% cotton plain colour flour sack towels when TJs was shutting down in Canada and love them. Of course now the only ones I can find are really pretty and $5 each. Another home store was closing and I lucked out getting 8 more there for $12. They dry the dishes really well and dry quickly, so even if I use 2 or more when drying a lot of dishes and they get too soaked to be effective they dry within 15 minutes or so.