Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:06 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: Useful / Useless
PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:44 pm 

jeanf wrote:
Pete - what brand garlic slicer do you have? I bought one once and it broke on first use. I love thinly sliced garlic in rapini and am not a good slicer. TIA
Sorry that I missed this question. It's a Bodum.

I recently heard that a truffle slicer also works (and it's not quite as much of a unitasker as the garlic slicer).

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:21 am 

thanks, I will look for that one. I like the idea that my digits are not involved. ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:52 am 

I have a Kyocera Mandoline (a small hand-held one) that will do paper thin slices of garlic. Digits do tend to be involved, though. I sometimes use the guard, but more often a butchers glove.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 2:45 pm 

The Bodum's about impossible to find recently, at least compared to a mandoline plus a glove. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:54 pm 

Don't know if I mentioned this but:
Useful - Canning funnel. Used at least 3 times a week to fill wide mouth thermoses for lunches, add powdered drink mix to pitchers of water, add spices to mason jars, etc. Not bad for something that costs around $2.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:52 pm 

Yup, I use those funnels constantly too.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 9:17 pm 

I use that funnel (the one to add to regular mason jars and larger), too, and I've actually made two other sizes to add to smaller jars, by simply slicing the bottom off them, leaving just the right size opening for the smaller spice jars, and larger jars too small for the mason jar funnel. I use those more than my regular funnels, probably because I am constantly refilling dried spice jars!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2012 2:24 am 

Dave, I pour my spices right into the jar without any funnel, just opening the ziploc a bit at one end. I do it over a paper towel, any spills, I fold the paper towel and use it as a funnel. I buy Penzey's garlic, cinnamon, fine grind black pepper (for DH) and smoked paprika in bags and keep them in the freezer till he small jars need refilling.

I got a kick out of the truffle slicer being less of a unitasker wondering how many of you guys regularly have truffles to slice other than the chocolate kind?

My one unitasker I love is the pineapple one. I have the one with 3 sizes and it does a faster and better job of peeling and coring at once than I can do with a knife. OTOH, I think mango slicers and useless. Super easy to stick a mango fork in the seed and use a knife to slice (and you have a handy holder to eat that lovely sweet pulp around the seed.).

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 10:22 pm 
Site Admin

Lindsay's thread on the Spifter inspired me to revive this thread.

Here's something I've found unexpectedly Useful: a ceramic garlic roaster. We got this in a blind gift exchange, and planned to re-gift it later. And then I needed to roast some garlic, so I decided to try it out. It really does work better than tin foil for roasting heads of garlic ... plus you can use it for roasting individual cloves. The little ceramic lid keeps the garlic from burning or drying out.

A one-trick pony, I know, but works really surprisingly well. I think I'll try making one.

PostPosted: Thu May 16, 2013 11:05 pm 

I saw my post on funnels below when I checked this thread. Today I needed a really tiny funnel to refill a mini bottle of Boyajian orange oil. Kitchen ones were too big. Then I remembered I used to have a "high-end perfume" habit. Sure enough tucked away with my now seldom used cosmetics were a couple of brand new tiny funnels. Washed them and they worked beautifully. Now tucked in my small gadgets drawer. Love it when I can repurpose items.

The best part, made a mess out of the drawer finding the funnel, so I have now emptied the contents onto a bag and will sort through while watching the Scandal finale, finally get rid of oodles of gifts with purchase and seldom/never used cosmetics.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 89 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next