Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 8:32 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Moisture and a Pizza stone
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:30 pm 

I am getting ready to put two loafs of my French bread in the oven. Usually I put a cookie sheet on the bottom and throw in a 1/2 cup of water to get some moisture in the oven for the Bread. But now we keep the pizza stone in the bottom of the oven, we don't see a need to take it out normally. If the stone is 350 degrees and gets hit with some water will it crack or other bad things. For this time I guess I will take it out, I would hate to ruin the stone it works great. I thought of putting the bread right on the stone but not sure how that would work, although I did that for my Olive Loaf and it worked good.

Thanks,
Barry

Post subject: Re: Moisture and a Pizza stone
PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:40 pm 

Barry,

I bake bread on a stone all the time. (I make about 20 loaves of ciabatta/day at work...all on a stone.)

Peel the bread directly on the stone, but make sure the stone is on a higher rack. Put a cast iron pan on the lower rack (let it get really hot), and then add ice cubes to it after you peel the bread onto the stone.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:26 pm 

Ah, thanks Amy. I do make a Ciabatta bread also. I understand the concept and it sounds pretty good.

Thanks,
Barry

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 6:24 pm 

Amy, tried your method of pizza stone on higher rack and pot of ice cubes, worked like a champ.

Thanks,
Barry