Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 3:01 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Pasta Extruder with brass dies?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:11 am 

Does anyone know if there is a consumer-oriented pasta extruder that uses brass dies?

Becky posted on FB about her acquisition of an extruder, and it's got me seriously jonseing for one. I just would prefer brass dies to plastic as they produce a smoother pasta.

Amy

Post subject: Re: Pasta Extruder with brass dies?
PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:22 am 

I bet that you could get these made by a 3D printing company like shapeways. I don't know how you would render the shape into the right format, but the people there seem to be very helpful.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:32 am 

Amy,

Reading the title, I assumed a tragedy, that your brass extruder had given up the ghost.

I thought the magic of a brass extruder was the rough surface texture coupled with a perfectly smooth interior. ...but what would I know from pasta. This sounds like a quest that may best be completed in Milan.

Tim

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 11:55 am 

@Becky...thanks, I'll look into that!

@Tim... lol. I've never made specialty pastas like an extruder allows you to make, but I specifically recall my EC in Culinary School extolling the virtue of brass dies.

Amy

Edited to add: Tim, I've looked into this more. and the brass die does gives a rougher exterior. See this article from Serious Eats. Totally makes sense in terms of saucing. I think what you said in terms of the interior being smoother is what I'm remembering. Regardless, I'd much rather make my own pasta than buy it.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:23 pm 

Ideas in Food blog has been going on about brass extruders as well for some time now. My cursory investigation put them out of reach for most home cooks, even those willing to spend considerably money on speciality devices. I'd love to hear about it if you come up with something.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:23 pm 
Site Admin

Amy,

Depends on what you mean by "consumer-oriented". If you mean "fits on a kitchen counter", yes. If you mean "affordable" not so much.

Arcobaleno: http://arcobalenollc.com/pasta-extruders.html

Dolly: http://www.pastabiz.com/machine-home/DO ... ruder.html

You'll notice neither has a price listed online, which means "If you have to ask, you probably can't afford it."

Here's a warehouse reseller, which has brass-die machines for the low, low price of $3500 to $6000:

http://www.buycheapr.com/us/result.jsp? ... ruder+dies

Notice that you can buy a selection of every brass die in the universe for only $14K.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 12:31 pm 

Josh,

Thanks. The Dolly came up in a google search I did, but not the other. You're probably right about it being completely cost-prohibitive though.

It's a market without an affordable product I fear.

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 1:37 pm 
Site Admin

Amy,

Yeah, if you have a friend who does metal artwork, you could try to talk them into casting brass dies for a more affordable consumer machine. I've a feeling, though, that the brass dies require the stronger motors of the industrial machines.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 4:39 pm 

I seem to remember a Good Eats episode on this too, and Alton saying that the brass dies don't last as long (the force of the durum flour warps them over time) so that's another cost consideration as to why manufacturers use plastic dies.

My friend bought the KA extruder and I have an Atlas pasta roller. We're planning a pasta making marathon.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2012 8:42 pm 

Here is what CI concluded during a recent taste test of Spaghetti.

Quote:
To cut pasta into shapes, most dough is passed through the holes of a die. All dies were originally made with bronze blocks, which give the noodles’ surface a rough-hewn, almost dusty appearance that some manufacturers still prefer; they claim that sauce clings better to the coarse, craggy exterior. Meanwhile, other pasta producers, including both American brands in our lineup, have switched to Teflon-coated dies, mostly for cosmetic reasons. Because it’s nonstick, Teflon reduces the surface tension of the dough extrusion and, as a result, produces smoother, shinier noodles. We found that sauce clung equally well to noodles made by both types of dies—but could bronze dies be responsible for producing the firmer texture we noticed in some of the spaghettis? As it turned out, no. While our favorite pasta was produced by bronze dies, so were our two least favorite brands, assailed for having “mushy,” “soft” texture “with no spring in the bite.”

According to Tulbek, the more important distinction is not the material of the die; it’s a question of how well the extruder and the die have been maintained. Whether bronze or Teflon, dies don’t last forever; the heat, friction, and pressure applied to the dough wear down and loosen the extruder parts over time. When this happens, the machine is no longer able to press the dough with enough force to make perfectly compact strands of spaghetti, and the texture of the noodles suffers. Based on our results, we could only assume that some extruders were in better shape than others.