Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Instant Pot
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 3:18 pm 

I apologize if there is already a thread on this. I'm just so happy with my pots I wanted to share again. Yesterday I made 1 lb. of unsoaked Cuban black beans in my 6 qt. Used 1 lb. Black Beans, a package of TJ's fresh diced onions, 6 cloves of Costco peeled garlic (I foodsavered most and put the rest in a jar with the metal closure and rubber gasket in the freezer and pull out the number I need when I start cooking. They don't stick together), 2/3 of a giant frozen green bell, bay leaves, olive oil, salt and oregano into the pot with 4.5 cups water. They were perfect after 25 minutes on the bean cycle. I let them NPR.

While the beans were cooking, I put 3 cups of Mahatma extra long white rice in the 8 qt. Rinsed well and added 3 cups of water, approx. 2 TBS. of liquid coconut oil and 1 TBS. refrigerated bacon fat, salt and stirred. I used the rice setting and let if NPR. I took less than 1 hour including coming to pressure and releasing for both. In the fridge for both, the beans get better and the rice might be healthier. FWIW, I reheat them by microwaving them on a Pyrex pie plate with another over the top, about 2-3 minutes right out of the fridge. Even better the next day.

I am also loving my homemade Greek yogurt. I've been using it on everything, as sour cream on burritos and with granola and fresh blueberries for breakfast or dessert.

Post subject: Re: Instant Pot
PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 5:13 pm 

I'm loving mine too, though I only have one. The yogurt is great. I haven't done a lot of meat (though my ribs turned out well) Rice, potatoes and beans have been great. Deb

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 7:14 pm 

I love mine but have not road tested it enough. I will say potatoes (using steam) are fabulous. I do a quick release if I'm in a hurry but always roast them after steaming. Fluffy inside, crispy outside, perfectly done and no heating up a huge pot of water.
Edit to add -has anyone tried basmati or jasmine rice? I tried basmati (can't remember exactly what I did) and it was too firm for us, I had to add more water and bring back to pressure and still not great.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:26 pm 

Jean, I've done both Basmati and Jasmine. Both well rinsed and drained. Here's how I did it.
RICE IP

PERFECT BASMATI RICE: 2 cups Basmati Rice 3 cups Water
Rinse the rice in a fine covered in fresh water for 15 minutes. Strain the rice and add to the Instant Pot -mesh strainer and soak —being careful to remove any stray grains from the top edge of the inner pot. Add water.
Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Press [Manual] and then use the [-] button to choose 4 minutes pressure cooking time. When time is up, open the cooker using the 10-minute Natural Pressure Release. Serves 4

PERFECT JASMINE RICE: 3 cups Jasmine Rice 3 cups Water
Rinse the rice in a fine Strain the rice and add to the Instant Pot being careful to remove any stray grains from the top edge of the inner pot. -mesh strainer. Add water. Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Press [Manual] and then use the [-] button to choose 4 minutes pressure cooking time.
When time is up, open the cooker using the 10-minute Natural Pressure Release Serves 4-6.

PERFECT BROWN RICE: 2 cups Brown Rice 2½ cups Water
Add rice to the Instant Pot being careful to remove any stray grains from the top edge of the inner pot. Add water. Close and lock the lid of the Instant Pot. Press [Manual] and then use the [-] button to choose 22 minutes pressure cooking time. When time is up, open the cooker using the 10-minute Natural Pressure Release. Serves 4.

3 cups long grain white rice
3 cups water
1 TBS. kosher salt
1 TBS. bacon grease
2 TBS. liquid coconut oil

For long grain white rice measure # cups in a Pyrex cup rice and place in liner, rinse rice well, remove rinse water (drain) then add same # of cups measured in same Pyrex cup water to liner. You can add salt and 1 TBS. bacon grease if desired (I also add 2 TBS. [url=http://www.vitacost.com/vitacost-liquid-coconut-oil-mct-oil-with-lauric-acid-refined-odorless-flavorless-gluten-free-and-non-gmo] liquid coconut oil [url], stir well and close lid. Press rice button and let it do its thing. When it beeps finished, let pressure release naturally for at least 10 minutes (I turn IP off and let it release by itself). My rice comes out perfect without having to wait for it to boil or turn heat off. If you don't turn IP off, it will still release pressure by itself and it will keep the rice warm. I prefer to cool my rice and refrigerate it and reheat to help with the carbs.

Source: Instant Pot Recipe Manual
Web Page: http://instantpot.com/free-electric-pre ... e-booklet/

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 9:39 pm 

I cooked jasmine in it with almost exactly the same results as I used to get with my rice cooker - always slightly sticky, but very uniform, with no hard kernels. I used 1 1/2 c water per cup of rice - I think they recommended 2:1,and the same for any other rice, which is not realistic. So you may have to play with the numbers, to get the right results with basmati.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 21, 2016 11:35 pm 
Site Admin

I'm confused how you're getting NPR on your electric pot. Does it have music streaming?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 1:06 am 

NPR=Natural Pressure Release.

I prefer my rice with every kernel easily separable and not chewy. That is how it came out for me using the measures below. I do rub it between my fingers palms and rinse it under running water, then pour the water out.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 9:21 am 

I am enjoying mine. I often get recipes from the Dad Cooks Dinner blog. He is a big Instant Pot fan.

His Turkey and Black Bean Chili is easy and delicious. Tons of flavor from the spices, and you can use as little as 1 lb. of turkey and get a quality, healthy result.

http://dadcooksdinner.com/2016/05/press ... hili.html/

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 10:08 am 

Alina,

Are you rinsing the basmati rice for 15 minutes?

EN

PostPosted: Sat Oct 22, 2016 4:22 pm 

EN I rinse the rice until the water is less cloudy. Never timed it, but I'd guess 5 minutes at most.

Chris, I have a couple of his recipes in my LC. I mostly adapt my old pc or regular recipes myself. I do use Barbara Schieving's site for both reference and actual recipes as well as the Instant Pot forum on Facebook.