Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Best Cookware Recommendations
PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:10 pm 

Hi,

Paul's advice is perfect. Carbon steel pans are really wonderful and pretty much non-stick with reasonable care. I scramble eggs every week in carbon steel with few problems. Yes, the eggs must be loosened with a flat flexible spatula but that is very easy. The trick is to heat the pan slowly and use a nice amount of your favorite lipid.

DeBuyer now has thicker mineral steel pans ($$) that should perform nicely. I recently read that the carbon steel pans do not hold the flaxseed seasoning as well as cast iron, which is more porous.

Paul is also correct on disc bottom pans having overheated corners on a gas stove. This can even be a problem with a 4 qt. disc bottom pan over a large gas burner. The opposite problem occurs on an electric hob, the corners are cold.

Those too hot or too cold corners really mess up a frying pan. It's worthwhile finding a fully clad skillet.

I also think that pouring lips and graduated diameters (as opposed to graduated depths) are really important in sauce pans. (Take that All-Clad)

Tim

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 1:34 pm 

gardnercook wrote:
Da Bull Man wrote:
On the Non-Stick stuff, I have several of the QVC (Quickly Vanishing Cash) pieces (name escapes me) that were gifts from my addicted MIL that I have been using over seven years that are still going strong.

I think they may be Cooks Essentials Technique (proprietary brand exclusive of QVC

That's it.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 4:04 pm 

Da Bull Man wrote:
gardnercook wrote:
Da Bull Man wrote:
On the Non-Stick stuff, I have several of the QVC (Quickly Vanishing Cash) pieces (name escapes me) that were gifts from my addicted MIL that I have been using over seven years that are still going strong.

I think they may be Cooks Essentials Technique (proprietary brand exclusive of QVC

That's it.

Cooks Essentials is their basic line of cookware
Technique is supposed to be a step or two up

I should not know this :oops: :lol:

I dream a dream of home...Where there’s coffee on the table...And kindness in your hand- Lyle Lovett

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:46 pm 

Almost all stove tops here are gas (propane), though a few very upscale kitchens may have the induction cook tops. Electric hobs and induction heaters (the one or two heater elements) are found in the shops but I don't see them used much in the homes.

So, for SS clad pans the consensus is Calphalon, though All Clad is good but doesn't have the "lip" for pouring? SS clad pots are either Calphalon or All Clad. Cast Iron for me is LC and Lodge for non-enameled, the latter is well stocked in Manila. Stock pots are stainless steel,but do not need to be AC or Cal, the local stuff is pretty good (Locally sold but made in Thailand).

For non-stick it NOT the anodized aluminum stuff. All Clad or any good quality maker, but just don't expect it to last forever. The carbon steel DeBuyer is very interesting. It does require more attention and care so it is not a wash and forget sort of thing. And I worry a bit because regardless of where you hang your apron in the Philippines, it is high humidity. Oh, here in Baguio City we drop into the low 80 percent occasionally, but mostly it is 90 plus here and in the flatlands. Still, looking the DeBuyer stuff over on Amazon and at their website, I'm kinda stoked on it. I may just get a couple of them and see how they do.

Thanks for the insight folks, I much appreciate it and will pass your collective wisdom over to my friends. The husband is searching for a birthday present as we speak, so I'm sure he'll be happy to hear your ideas.

I'll reread this thread a couple of times to see if I've missed anything. But overall, it looks like Calphalon is the best choice when price is factored in and reliability is very important.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:22 am 

I just bought the DuBuyer nonstick. It is not carbon steel but I love the shape and size of it. I still haven't used it so will have to report back.

Mary

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:24 am 

I bought a set of Jamie Oliver professional nonstick pots, mainly for the sauté pan and fry pan (I have an induction range now, and finding induction capable nonstick is a pita here still, and the set on sale was less than the two pans I wanted on open stock). They take a lot of abuse and still look new, and are coated to be dishwasher safe - not that I've ever tried, as they clean up easily with a quick scrub and rinse. I also bought a Swiss Diamond nonstick grill pan. $$$ ($$) but it is induction capable and also works really well. When I was cooking on gas I had 2 Swiss diamond nonstick non-induction pans (they say not to use the induction capable ones on gas) that lasted me 6+ years and still looked new despite daily use. They are über expensive, but worth it IMO.

For stainless, I like AC (it works well on both gas and induction). My favourite is Mauviel m-cook though (their stainless line). Again, $$$, but they are phenomenal. It's worth keeping an eye out for sales.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:12 pm 

At the crazy end, I just received 2 pieces of Falk Culinair, a small saucier and a smallish saute pan. They are very very lovely. I had to use my wifes wine-buying habits against her to not be totally in the dog house.

Last edited by Paul Kierstead on Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:21 pm 

Ooooooh, sweet. I had my eye on the Falk website for a long time (until those dreams were dashed by building codes too rigid to let me install a gas range in my new house). The brushed finish is gorgeous.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 3:56 am 

Sorry for the bit of hijack...but, Paul's mentioning Falk got me thinking...

Anyone have a good source for retinning copper cookware? I've got some French copper I'd love to restore.

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:31 am 

I looked into this a while back. The two that consistently got the best reviews were East Coast Tinning in NJ, and Rocky Mountain Replating in Denver.

Rocky Mountain's website is down right now, so I don't know if they're around anymore. But here's the contact info:
3457 Brighton Boulevard
Denver, CO 80216-5022
(303) 295-0462

Fante's in Philadelphia also gets good ratings.

Stay away from Atlantic - they seems to have problems.

Those are the only ones I know of.