Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Best Cookware Recommendations
PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 1:55 pm 

Maybe not the best, but an incredible bargain and fully clad:

It's a 12 piece set of Cuisinart Stainless fully clad set at Costco for $160. Apparently not in all Costco stores.

Very similar to this set at Amazon:LINKY TO AMAZON

Tim

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2012 11:21 pm 

That is a very nice set an at $160, a great deal. I'll point my friend toward it. Maybe his mom, who is in the States, can get it for him.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:01 pm 

SilverSage wrote:
The Tramontina is only available at Walmart online. They no longer carry it in the stores, but you can order online & pick up at your local store. Has Walmart invaded the Phillipines? We can occasionally find individual pieces (usually large ones) at the discount warehouses like Costco & BJ's, but that's pretty hit or miss. Walmart now carries Better Homes & Gardens clad pans in its stores instead of the Tramontina, which I believe are being made by Tramontina. The handles are better, but they have those (awful) glass lids, and appear to my naked eye to be a little thinner in construction.

I have a mix of clad pans from AllClad, Calphalon, Cuisinart, Tramontina. I pick up individual pieces at the discount clearance stores like Ross, Marshalls, Bealls, etc. Of them all, my favorite is the Calphalon. (Crystal hasn't been here for a while, so maybe she won't see this). The handles on the Tramontina feel skimpy for my large hands. The AllClad and Tramontina have the same flaw - no pouring lip on the saucepans. The Calphalon has the best handle AND a pouring lip.

I don't do the kind of testing CI does - I just cook with them. And although I'm happy with all of my 'special finds', I really like the Calphalon SS clad best.

I long ago gave away all of my anodized aluminum. No matter how much care I took with it, it just started to look shabby after a few years. And the dark color made it hard really hard to judge the color of fonds, caramels & sauces, etc.

All non-stick wears out. Even AllClad. The pans last a lifetime, but the coating won't last.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 4:04 pm 

I agree with Silver Sage. My AC nonstick doesn't look so great these days, the regular looks fine, but less shiny. The Tramontina stockpots are great, my dad bought me a couple. For the $, they perform well.

Edit: I typed a longer post, but it disappeared.....

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:32 pm 

Funny, but I just realized I've totally ignored my All Clad during the last year for my cast iron. I have my Grandmother's (100 + years old) that is the greatest non-stick pan ever, but the cast iron I bought five years ago is also now pretty much non-stick. And it sears well. And it cleans like a dream. Not bad for two pans that I think cost about $30, combined. By the way, love you back, Crystal.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:52 am 

Most of my cooking is on DeBuyer Carbonne Steel pans that are fully seasoned and non-stick. The clean up is incredibly easy. With reasonable warm up, there is no problem with hot spots.

Tim

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:27 pm 

Yeah I'm totally duBuyer train as well and use it almost exclusively. It is actually pretty inexpensive all things considered, much less the AC. It also comes in a large variety if sizes which makes having the perfect size easy. My last count is 7 :)

I use mineral.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:37 am 

Paul,

Have you found a source of de Buyer Mineral paella shaped pans.

How have you seasoned your Mineral pans? I've used flaxseed on a few of my pans but that does not appear necessary.

Tim

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:29 am 

Actually, I forgot my crepe pans (that is how I got started on this path...), so I actually have 9 duBuyer pans.

I do a very basic heat-oil (typically grape seed) for the very first, and then rely totally on use to season. When a pan is young, I stick to things which will have lots of fat. As it gets older, it gets to graduate. My most used ones are very black and extremely well seasoned. I find even if I have to scrub, knocking a bit off, it still comes back very easily. The season fast and well. I currently only have one really young one, a country saute pan I bought to replace a well-seasoned wok that got damaged.

I've not had cause to run down a paella pan, so don't know; however, my local seller (who has reasonable prices mostly for duBuyer) seems to be able to obtain just about anything in the line, so if pressed I would probably just call them up. I don't know if you have a local seller. Some smaller on-line sellers will bring stuff in for you if you email or call, too.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2014 10:00 am 

A few years ago, I purchased a small tri-ply LeCreuset stainless steel saucepan. The pan has all the features that make me want to toss the All-Clad: these pans nest together, they have a real pouring spout, heavy lids with large handles, a wide handle, a large helper handle, interior capacity markings and are induction ready. Yes they are a bargain, but wait there's more...

Le Creuset has decided to spruce up these pans with a new design; The manager of the Charleston SC Signature Store said the beautiful new pans would no longer look like their competitors. They are currently discounting the pans by 35%. That brings the price to 2Qt. for $71, 3Qt. $91 and 4Qt. for $107. At this time their outlet stores are not discounting the pans.

tim