Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:07 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Portable Steam Table
PostPosted: Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:25 pm 

Well, in my quest for both Sous Vide and Cheese Making, I am ordering a steam table, which may end up even being used what it was designed for occasionally.

The sous vide function is done with a PID controller, the same with the cheese vat function but I will use a full size 6" deep hotel pan to hold my milk. This will let me use 5 gallons of milk per batch of cheese. A PID controller that Tim turned me on to seems like the best bang for the buck, so one of those will accompany my new "ghetto" sous vide/cheese vat.

I have been looking at various portable units such as the Winco Electric Food Warmer which is a bit over $130 from Amazon. A second unit by a different maker is about twice that but includes a drain spigot which might be handy. But I can bail a fair amount of water manually for a hundred bucks.

I plan to get 1 full size 6" deep hotel pan, 2 half size 6" pans, and 3 1/3 size pans with lids for food warming at parties and so forth. The 2 half pans will let me make two batches of cheeses exactly the same but with one variable. I'd like to get visible covers for the pans; a single cover will do for both the full and half size pans, but individual covers for the 1/3 size pans so that its easy to see what is being offered and how much is left.

I am just keeping my fingers crossed it makes the ocean transit in good shape.

Steve

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

Post subject: Re: Portable Steam Table
PostPosted: Sat Oct 08, 2011 5:17 pm 
Site Admin

Tatoosh,

Wow, let me know how that works for cheese.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 5:51 am 

Oh yeah, for sure, photos even ... if my camera comes back from the repair shop in working order. It's like some sort of alien disruptor wand was waved over my stuff in the last couple of months. My wife's nice new semi-high end cell phone died, my camera died, my PS3 died, so on and so forth. Not at the same time and only the PS3 was plugged into the Philippine's amazingly inconsistent power grid, all the rest just croaked on their own. Oh, and my numero uno Thermopen died awhile back too. Luckily I arrived with a spare.

Steve

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:04 am 

I hope that's not contagious...

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 1:31 pm 

No the PS3! How will you play Katamari Damacy, now?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:02 pm 
Site Admin

Jesbelle,

He'll coat himself in rubber cement and roll around the kitchen cabinets. ;-)

Tatoosh,

Tangentally related to this, a few years ago we visited an exhibit on palace wares from the early Warring States period of China, around 1000BC. This included a steam table. So yes, the Chinese have been doing steam tables for 3000 years.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 9:17 am 

Jesbelle, you jest (maybe) but my PS2 is still working (I think) and I had never heard of that game! Okay, gonna see if I can google a torrent on it. Thanks. I am trying to promote a replacement PS3 motherboard out of the USA since they do not seem to be available here. Did I mention Cooking Momma on the DS Lite game unit?

The rubber cement here is called "Rugby" for some reason and is amazingly popular for various things, though coating myself and rolling about in the kitchen hadn't occurred to me (yet). The name should have, though.

The Chinese steam table does not surprise me at all. I really wish I could visit the place. I've longed to see those amazing Terra Cotta warriors from the first emperor's grave since I first saw them in National Geographic. Such an inventive people.

Steve

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2011 10:09 am 

I partially jest. Actually, Katamari Damacy is hella fun, as my poor, beleaguered thumbs can attest.