Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:36 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Cleaning oven thermometer?
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 5:21 am 

My oven needs a good clean. I clean it often but I am a bit anal about it and would love it cleaned professionally. DH has said I can buy a new oven but there is really nothing wrong with my oven so don't want to be silly and waste money.

Does anyone know how much it costs to have someone come out to professionally clean an oven??

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 10:18 am 
Site Admin

Scott,

First, welcome to Cookaholics! Glad to have you here. You're our 2nd member from Alberta.

Here in the US, oven cleaning is something which professional cleaning companies offer as a service in the course of a more general cleaning. Not sure how much it adds to your cleaning bill exactly, though, and it might be different in Canada.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:32 am 

Cleaning the oven is one most hated chore. It takes nearly 1.5 to 3 hours to clean a conventional oven, hob and hood. Larger ovens, commercial ovens or appliances that haven’t been cleaned for several years may take longer. I have been using a regular house cleaning service in Oakville for the past two years and they do oven cleaning as an extra service on request. I haven’t used this service yet, but their price chart shows that it cost around $40-$45 for a standard oven and $60-$65 for a double oven. For a more economical way, you can use your oven’s self-cleaning function. Chances are if your oven is less than 50 years old, it has a self-cleaning option. The self-cleaning function starts a heating cycle that rises to over 900 degrees Fahrenheit, from 2.5 hours to 4 hours. The heat burns all the debris white ash at this heat. The oven door will lock for safety at this time. You can just wipe out this ash from your oven as the temperature drops cool. The high heat cycle can make your house smell funky for the few hours it’s running. Opening up your windows for better ventilation will take this smell away. If you refuse to use the self-clean function, you can still easily clean your oven using baking soda. Make a paste out of baking powder and water and spread it inside your oven. Using a pair of rubber gloves, you can coat this paste inside the oven with your hands. Leave it overnight or at least 12 hours. Using a dishcloth you can wipe out the dried paste in the morning. Use a spatula to scrape off the paste from hard-to-reach-spots.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:50 pm 

Hi Richard - I have sent you a PM with information regarding this board and how to use it most effectively. To see this PM (personal message), go to the top of the page and look under "New Messages".

Wino