Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Mon May 13, 2024 9:39 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: New gas range?
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 6:59 am 

Hmmm, could you take a Sawz-all to the cabinets? :)

I can only let you know about two brands my parents have recently had that were horrible: Crosley and Tappan. They have an old Tappan in the basement (like 1940s) and it's great, but the new stuff is just terrible. Theirs have only lasted 1-2 years before major malfunction.

Post subject: Re: New gas range
PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:35 am 

I agree with EB about grate layout. We replaced a 30 year old "stainless steel" stove that could never be cleaned, rusted and the back burner didn't work. When it was taken out, it fell apart!

We got a 30 inch Whirlpool, with 5 burners, convection, and self cleaning feature. So far, I love it. All I have to do to clean the cook top is to remove the two grates, and wipe. I can also program the oven to start and stop. I had the same problem as you, Fuzzy. I could only go 30 inches.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 7:45 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
JB,

One thing which is annoying is that we found out that you can't get a high-powered burner on a 24" stove without going into super-premium (i.e. $3000) territory. Whereas you can get it on a 30" stove which sells for only around $800. Grrrr.

Maybe it's time to MOVE!

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 11:13 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
JB,

What brand is yours?

It's ummm, a Hotpoint. I can't find the model number, but I will ask Geekboy tonight if he filed it with the warranty. I do know that it was a Consumer Reports "Best Buy" at the time.

I think I would be seriously considering whether or not I could do without a cupboard if it meant squeezing another 6 inches out of the kitchen.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 8:16 pm 
Site Admin

All,

Actually, the stove isn't next to a cabinet, it's next to the dishwasher. And that's next to the back door. If We got a 30" stove, we'd have to get to the garden via the window.

While the pictures aren't up anymore, several of you have seen our postage-stamp-sized kitchen. It's only possible to lie down in it diagonally, and bent at the knees.

Moving is out of the question. We have rent control.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 9:44 pm 

What's wrong with the window? You could do a little Dukes of Hazzard "yee-haw" when you come and go.

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 6:18 am 

TheFuzzy wrote:
All,

Actually, the stove isn't next to a cabinet, it's next to the dishwasher. And that's next to the back door. If We got a 30" stove, we'd have to get to the garden via the window.

While the pictures aren't up anymore, several of you have seen our postage-stamp-sized kitchen. It's only possible to lie down in it diagonally, and bent at the knees.

Moving is out of the question. We have rent control.

Fuzzy,

My son lived in an apartment in NYC that had a very useful 24" oven. I can't remember the brand, but it provided storage for sweaters. The apartment was about 500 sq. feet.

To be serious, you might check out Consumer Reports and go looking for related models.

CC

Post subject: Re: New gas range
PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2011 11:36 am 

KSyrahSyrah wrote:
I agree with EB about grate layout. We replaced a 30 year old "stainless steel" stove that could never be cleaned, rusted and the back burner didn't work. When it was taken out, it fell apart!

We got a 30 inch Whirlpool, with 5 burners, convection, and self cleaning feature. So far, I love it. All I have to do to clean the cook top is to remove the two grates, and wipe. I can also program the oven to start and stop. I had the same problem as you, Fuzzy. I could only go 30 inches.

That sounds like the one I have and I am very happy with it.

Laurie

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:13 am 

All, I'm looking at replacing my 30 gas stove with a dual fuel stove. Hubby is not happy about this decision as he removed the 220 in the kitchen when we remodeled and would need to install a pony panel as we are out of breakers.
Questions (gee, I'm full of these today):
1- is it that much better to have an electric oven? I trust you guys more than the appliance sales people
2 - has anyone used the GE Profile or Cafe lines? I've been reading stuff on them over at the gardenweb forums too. I like the look of these and these have 2 ovens, one is 5.3 Cubic feet and the lower is 1.0 cf, which appeals to me for those holiday meals. Some of the dual ovens don't have 1 really big one and I don't want to sacrifice that.

I'm looking at the slide in version. The freestanding has a black enamel top and I really want stainless for the cleanability factor. Both have 5 burners, the middle one is a large oval. Not sure how truly practical that 5th burner would be in the other 4 were in use but love the idea of an on stove griddle.

Fuzzy, what did you get?

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:48 pm 

I'm also thinking about a new range. I'm looking at Electrolux as I want two ovens, and it's gotten great reviews. Duel fuel is nice, but not completely necessary, IMO.

Amy

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 33 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next