Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 8:57 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Portable electric burners - and induction disks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:04 pm 

Has anyone used an induction disk? I see them on Amazon as a companion purchase to a portable induction burner. They allow you to use noninducton types of cookware on an induction burner.

Does anyone have a recommendation on an electric portable burner (non induction). I see that CI recommends the Burton induction .burner, but if I don't go that route I am wondering where to start. BTW it is waaay cheaper on Amazon than quoted in their last review (125 down to $68). Has anyone actually used this burner?

I want to be able to cook steaks and other things at high heat outside on the deck so I don't smoke up the house. It needs to be good sized and willing to put out some high heat and keep a 12" frypan stable.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Post subject: Re: Portable electric burners - and induction disks
PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:19 pm 
Site Admin

EB,

I've bought a lot of cheap portable electric burners in my time. In fact, two are sitting in storage right now waiting for cooking demos. AFAIK, they're all pretty much identical, and I prefer to get the cheap ones (think $30) so that when I break/lose them, it's no big deal.

Induction burners can be troublesome if you're not prepared for them. They require special cookware. More importantly, most of the ones sold in the US are crap, and a while a cheap-ass electric coil is usable, a cheap induction burner is completely non-functional. So I wouldn't buy any model you couldn't completely test first.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:46 am 

So if I get an induction cook top my All Clad Stainless is no good? How about the copper lined stuff, a no-no as well? Eek! I was thinking about getting one of those Induction units since I can more closely regulate the temperature when I make small amounts of cheese.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:35 pm 

Your AC stainless will still be good, but I don't think the AC copper lined is induction friendly. Check by sticking a magnet on the bottom of the pan, and seeing if it sticks - if so, you can use it.

I have an induction burner, and found that it heats a gallon of water in a large saucepan I have almost as fast as my 20k burners on my range. I never got one of those disks, though I really don't need one, as I have plenty of pans that work with induction.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 3:24 pm 

Tatoosh wrote:
So if I get an induction cook top my All Clad Stainless is no good? How about the copper lined stuff, a no-no as well? Eek! I was thinking about getting one of those Induction units since I can more closely regulate the temperature when I make small amounts of cheese.

Well it depends, I had to contact All Clad for this answer when I was going through a similar dilemma: All All-Clad stainless will work with induction. Some Copper-core will work, depending on when it was made. The older stuff was not specifically designed for induction, so some pots may, but most won't. The newer copper core will work with induction. To tell the old from the new, look at the bottom of your pan, where All Clad is stamped, look for a small R with a circle around it. This symbol is included on the newer copper core that will work with induction cooktops.

Either way, if you already own the stuff, just do the magnet test. The copper-core I use on my induction works amazingly. Good luck

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 4:20 pm 

I think CI had a small article about portable induction burners in one of their issues a few months ago (I can't get on to the site right now to give you the exact date but it was fairly recent). I've looked into induction burners too - my only question is whether they are wide enough to support a dutch oven or 12" saute pan.

Gerard

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 10:03 pm 
Site Admin

Senator,

Welcome to the Board!

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:54 pm 

Thanks for the guide on the copper core AC cookware. I will check it out today! And welcome aboard (though I am pretty much a newbie here myself).

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines