Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 5:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Limestone counters
PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:27 pm 

I have two kitchen surfaces. I have a large island which has an big and deep stainless steel work counter (which I absolutely love), and it has a bar height limestone wrap-around counter, which is a beautiful material, but impractical, especially if you like to cook. Unfortunately, the builder chose to use limestone for the third counter, which is where the sink and stove are located. The problem with limestone is it etches when exposed to acidic elements. Um...I cook with acidic elements all the time. I try to keep up with clean-up, but it's not always possible. Plus, Andy isn't as tuned-in to the problem as I am.

Another off-season project is to fix the etch marks and re-seal the counters. Anyone out there have limestone (or its equally as troublesome partner, marble)? Any advice?

Amy

Post subject: Re: Limestone counters
PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:20 am 

You might try companies that prepare grave site markers. We use a lot of limestone on buildings here (because it is plentiful). It develops a wonderful patina after awhile. I realize you have the opposite problem but these companies may have a solution since it is widely used for this purpose. Additionally, kitchen counter suppliers would be an excellent starting point. :geek:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 1:03 pm 

No good advice on the etching. However, being somewhat AR(and this is vanishing fast) and a messy cook(I can't clean as I go, I want to, but get caught up in the heat of the moment, remember the sink episode? :mrgreen: However, have come up with a workable solution(remember the Thanksgiving episode :mrgreen: ?) If you don't have that many visitors, or if you don't a rats butt(this category, for the most part), I keep a stack of assorted towels(beach to normal) and I whip one of those over the area of the counter that I do main prep on, towel gets yucky, goes in washer, place new towel. Back to Thanksgiving, literally the day before after scouring the counters, every visible space is draped, and they are whipped off and thrown in washer before the guests arrive. :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:50 pm 

Thanks Wino and Crystal.

I've been in touch with Aldon who makes a number of products for limestone, and I have samples on the way to try.

C, you and I are thinking alike (again...what a shock), and I've been looking to find the same sort of micro-fiber towels my sister got in bulk someplace in Chicago. I'd like to cut down (or almost out) the number of paper towels I use, so keeping a drawer full of towels that are strictly for kitchen clean-up would be great. (I just hate using good towels that way...my AR nature, I guess.)

Amy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2011 4:03 pm 

Sorry, no help on the limestone. However, I do keep a supply of towels handy to cover my countertops with as well. Gets messy, off it goes. Protects the countertop and makes cleanup so much easier!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2011 6:55 am 

Since limestone and cement are so similar, I have to think that there is some sort of patching solution out there. I would hope there is something a bit more specialized toward 'ornamental' limestone (grave markers, countertops, lawn ornaments) rather than having to buy a 50# bag of concrete patch, though.

--Geekboy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:11 pm 

Hi Amy,
I am curious if you have located any product or method that removes etchings on limestone. I've got a coffee table with drink ring marks that I would LOVE to remove then reseal and start over.

Please report back in and let us know how you do with it.

Lynn

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2011 4:15 pm 
Site Admin

Limestone?

WTF thought that limestone counters would be a good idea?

"Hey, this is the softest, most chemically reactive stone I could find. Let's put it next to the stove! We'll use balsa wood for the floors."

Kitchen designers baffle me.