Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Dishwashers - Is yours going downhill? Here's the fix!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:12 am 

Hi,

The dear old Bosch just wasn't cutting the mustard...or grease or much of anything. Sometimes the wine glasses were dirty and sometimes it was the pans. Lib was ready to call a repairman or visit the appliance store.

I decided to send and email to Bosch. I was shocked to receive a full page of information within 5 hours. They recommended two things.

1. Clean the unit with Finish Dishwasher Cleaner. The new phosphate free detergents promote a gray film, then grainy substance and poor cleaning.

2. Check the water in the bottom. If dirty or smelly, that indicates drain problems like a blocked/twisted hose.

Yes, our shiny stainless was looking like my All-Clad Masterchef aluminum pans. (Take that, Crystal!) Yes there was some grit on the bottom. It took two store to find the Finish Dishwasher Cleaner and our machine is now on STEROIDS, again!

Bosch says to use only powdered dishwashing detergents and only two tablespoons. They also recommend using a glass cleaning additive.

Tim

Post subject: Re: Dishwashers - Is yours going downhill? Here's the fix!
PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 1:04 pm 

Thanks Tim.....I will look for the cleaner. My Bosch isn't going down hill yet but it is 10 years old and running a clean cycle is probably a great idea.
ilene

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:08 pm 

Tim wrote:
Hi,

The dear old Bosch just wasn't cutting the mustard...or grease or much of anything. Sometimes the wine glasses were dirty and sometimes it was the pans. Lib was ready to call a repairman or visit the appliance store.

I decided to send and email to Bosch. I was shocked to receive a full page of information within 5 hours. They recommended two things.

1. Clean the unit with Finish Dishwasher Cleaner. The new phosphate free detergents promote a gray film, then grainy substance and poor cleaning.

2. Check the water in the bottom. If dirty or smelly, that indicates drain problems like a blocked/twisted hose.

Yes, our shiny stainless(because it is the BEST, in our opinion )and was looking like my All-Clad Masterchef aluminum pans. (Take that, Crystal!) Yes there was some grit on the bottom. It took two store to find the Finish Dishwasher Cleaner and our machine is now on STEROIDS, again!

Bosch says to use only powdered dishwashing detergents and only two tablespoons. They also recommend using a glass cleaning additive.

Tim

I heard that loud and clear babe! Image

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:16 pm 

When we bought our new house I was immediately disappointed with the dishwasher. But, we knew our water was harder than at our old house so we did a lot of internet research, which is where I discovered Finish Glass Magic. I bought some, and it really worked, but Andy continued to dig and found out the same thing Bosch told you...the lack of phosphates is what is making your dishwasher run sub-optimally.

He then continued to dig a little more and found that something we already had (called Red Devil TSP/90, used in a very small amount) would accomplish the same thing without harming our septic system. And, since Red Devil (using a 1/4 teaspoon) is much cheaper than Finish Glass Magic used at their recommended dosing of 1/4 cup for each load we now use that.

Amy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:03 pm 

For years we've used Finish automatic dishwasher detergent powder and Jet-Dry rinse agent in our Bosch. Finish used to be called Electrasol. When we bought the unit the information said to use both Electrasol along with a rinse agent which was radically different to what I had been using, basically anything on sale that said dishwasher on it. Never heard of Finish Dishwasher Cleaner but I hope it doesn't involve manual labor!

(Sorry for the long string - haven't gotten the hang of 21st century board technology yet!)

Finish

I fixed the long string for you.
Darcie

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2011 10:39 pm 

Relevant news story

--Geekboy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:30 pm 

Mine isn't going downhill, it has reached the bottom of the canyon! Then again, it doesn't owe me anything, as I bought it in 10/83! Back then, it was the best on the market, as only KA heated water for washing - new for the home DWs back then, but something they all do now.

The noise of this thing was driving me crazy (just another excuse), and the racks are starting to rust from the inside out. Still, 27 years of use isn't bad for a DW. I do not hold out hopes like this for the one I am getting now.

I have a Bosch being delivered on Friday. I have been reading all of the recommendations, here and in Consumer Reports, and all the adds for months, and looking for deals on Bosch, and finally, one place has all the models on sale (which I know they were from keeping a journal on models and prices in all the local stores), plus free delivery, installation, and disposal, plus a $50 energy rebate. So far, it has always been other brands. Patience pays off!

I'll keep that cleaner in mind for the SS interior of this one. Finish/electrasol was always my favorite DW detergent, though in recent years I think the belach content was reduced, as some things don't get as bleached white as they used to with it. My sister just got me some Cascade gel (she had coupons upon sales, and couldn't pass it up, even though she doesn;t have a DW! LOL) and it worked great! Much brighter white items than the finish powder lately.

Dave

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:55 pm 

Congrats on the new dw Dave! A nice testimonial for Bosch. Let us know how you like it!

eb

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:52 am 

Tim,
I've looked for the Finish product and all I can find is Dishwasher Magic - with the main ingredient of citric acid - with the waxy plug in the bottle. What is the main ingredient of the Finish Cleaner? I looked online and could not find it.

I am hoping that they are the same. I've not used it yet.

Thanks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:43 am 

Light Bulb,

I have no idea. I'd go ahead an use the Dishwasher Magic.

Tim