Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:55 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Washing machines
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:25 pm 

I know I can look for reviews on gardenweb, but I would really like to know if there are any opinions out there from you guys on:

The top loading machines that don't spin with a big center post but have the big open tub and agitate....those new kinds of machines. Not the front loaders. Like the Maytag Bravos for instance.

Thanks for any input.

Post subject: Re: Washing machines
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:29 pm 

my mom had the top loader with no agitator, but it was the first model of maytag that came out and was AWFUL. No lint trap, so all the lint stayed in the machine. I hear they've corrected that issue, but after years of complaints and service calls she now has a front loader instead (LG) and loves it. My sister and I have front loaders too, I'd never go back to a top loader. Am planning to replace mine soon, the dryer I have isn't a match and we want to be able to stack them to get more room in the laundry room. Waiting though as apparently an even larger capacity front load will be available soon, and anything I can do to cut down on the number of loads I do a week would be great.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:41 pm 

Both of mine are front loaders (kenmore)about 2 years old and I love them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:15 pm 

Frontloaders here and I really like them.
fitzie

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:10 pm 

Frontloaders. Sears, He3t's. 7 yrs now. I've heard no agitators on top load are bad. Control panel on washer $100--Rod switched, door on washer, $150, Rod fixed, dryer door dying, $150, Rod will fix. Housekeeper and H likely culprits. Massive laundry loads, efficient-water and detergent. Would buy again if they died. However, know history of different people/brands who say never again.

c

PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:59 pm 
Site Admin

sob whatever the landlord will install, which hopefully doesn't eat my quarters. :(

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:50 am 

Josh,

I SO do not miss the days of being a quarter hoarder for laundry.

EB: Front loader, stacked units by Whirpool. Other than the washer being a little loud, love them.

Amy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:06 am 

Front loader, Kenmore (Whirlpool), quite happy with it. The only caveat is that it's not great on heavy grease stains, which when you are married to a mechanic is a drawback. Otherwise great performance and efficiency.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:21 am 

Good input, thanks all.

Maybe I need to rethink front loaders. My friends here tell me much the same (they like them). I have it in my head that they take a long time for a cycle, and they get moldy/smelly around that seal because there is always water in there.

I do a LOT of laundry for just two people and a dog. (key word: dog - we walk her when it is rainy and muddy which is a lot of the year here, plus all the dog wiping towels, etc). Maybe since I do so much I need to suck it up on the run time and save some water.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:00 am 

easy bake wrote:
Good input, thanks all.

Maybe I need to rethink front loaders. My friends here tell me much the same (they like them). I have it in my head that they take a long time for a cycle, and they get moldy/smelly around that seal because there is always water in there.

I do a LOT of laundry for just two people and a dog. (key word: dog - we walk her when it is rainy and muddy which is a lot of the year here, plus all the dog wiping towels, etc). Maybe since I do so much I need to suck it up on the run time and save some water.

The cycle time varies a lot. On mine, the "normal" setting is 56 minutes. I don't find that too long. There is an "express" setting that is 30 minutes. The "heavy duty" is 2 hours if you select the "stain treat" option, 99 minutes without. The longest cycle is "sanitize" at 3 hours.

Re: smell. My washer has "clean washer" cycle that you run 1x month using bleach. I have never had an odor in mine in 3+ years. When I'm done with a load I leave the door open slightly for it to ventilate.