Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:57 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Juicers?
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:46 am 

I have a Samson juicer and love it. I juiced everyday for a few years with it and am just starting again. If you have never had fresh cranberry juice, you must try it!

I don't have a VitaMix, but I do have a Blendtec -- the one that is featured in those wacky film clips where they are blending cell phones and garden hoses. It was a toss up between the two and the place I ordered it from said the basic difference is that the Blendtec fits on the kitchen counter better (with upper cabinets), so I ordered that one. I did covet a Vita Mix for many years. Actually it was over 20 years ago when they were offering them in a magazine I used to get -- Nutrition Action Newsletter.

Now I have the Blendtec and my BF has a commercial Vitamix -- I guess if we get married we'll have a blended family!
-sabine

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:34 pm 

I am considering a Vita-Mix, though the $449 price tag has my eyes bugging out. Will I use it? Image Sabine, I have checked out the Blendtec as well. Since your BF has the Vita-Mix, is one any "better" than the other...or is it like the old Cuisinart vs Kitchenaid thing?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 27, 2009 1:13 pm 
Site Admin

Saute,

The reason for the high price of the vitamix is that it's a lifetime purchase. My FIL's vitamix lasted for 20 years before he made the mistake of trying to make 3lbs of cashew butter in one batch and burned out the motor.

So, if you do get one and don't use it much, they're fairly easy to resell used.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:19 am 

Well, I have now watched every demo vid of Vita-Mix and Blendtec blenders available on the intarweb. Yet, I still can't decide which one to order, lol. I'm considering a reconditioned Vita-Mix 5200, which costs $375 and has the same 7-year warranty as new. Decisions, decisions.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:23 pm 

Since this post was started CI tested juicers and liked the Breville Juice Fountain Plus Model Number JE98XL.

I researched this recently because my husband & I were chatting with a MIT engineer during a ferry ride who had lost all sorts of weight "juicing." Arrgh, yes, another small appliance! However, storage shouldn't be too much of an issue with our soon to be empty nest (at least for a bit). Anyone have experience with juicing? I am hoping for the energy nirvana (along with the loss of a few pounds) that's promised!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:51 pm 

Not sure if juicers and smoothies fall into the same category so forgive my ignorance. DH makes himself one of the latter every morning. We have an old Vitamix (6-8 years old). He puts a variety of fruits and and veggies in it (always an avocado instead of banana, and kale) along with protein powder. He has lost weight since he started doing this. He makes it once a day and drinks half in the morning and the half in the afternoon. Net result is that he has more energy and eats considerably less at dinnertime as well. Does not snack with junk either since he's not hungry. I wish I could tolerate smoothies, because it is sure easy.

I dislike the Vitamix for petty reasons, too tall to fit under my cabinets assembled and containers are plastic. However, I must admit it is great for soups, don't have to discard seeds or skin from tomatoes for example, for making tahini and for quickly making cracker crumbs from Cuban crackers for my Breaded Cuban Steak.

I realize that there is a substantial cost difference, but I'd go for the multitasker.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:05 am 

Since I posted this I have bought and loved a VM 5200 for years, and recently been gifted a Powergrind Pro juicer. I think juicing rather than blending does make sense. I still use my VM for smoothies, grinding flour, pureeing, etc. However, I buy the argument that your body spends so much energy digesting the fiber in blended fruit that you do not get all the vitamins/enzymes.

Soooo, I have been juicing once or twice a day for the last month or so. I try for a fruit juice in the morning and a veg juice around 3:00 pm. I could not eat that many fruits and vegetables in a day reliably. I am also not a breakfast eater, so this is the perfect solution for me. I've read that you absorb more if you juice on an empty stomach.

I also am of the mindset that you should add juice to your diet not subtract foods if you juice. It does seem to kill a lot of my cravings, and I lost a few pounds. I've read a lot about the benefits of juicing. My teenage daughter's skin has cleared up a lot since we started drinking live juice.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 2:42 pm 

Thanks Becca & Alina. Sounds like juicing might help with snacking which is exactly what hubby needs. I love my Blendtec (many years old, not sure the model) for making smoothies, ironically for weight gain for teenagers as they are tall & thin. We used to be tall & thin too but now we're just tall and probably shrinking!

Fortunately my local library has a copy of The Juicing Bible which has loads of recipes, about half of which can be made in a powerful blender. There seem to be some obscure ingredients though at least to me -- marshmallow leaves, hyssop, yarrow aerial parts??? Maybe I'll stick to more mainstream ingredients.

Becca - do you use a recipe for your juices?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 4:10 am 

Vitamix, oh yeah! Like Jimmy Carter, I have looked upon them with lust in my heart. We have a couple of more mundane juicers, one from Australia and one from the USA. They are the centrifugal sort, cheaper to make and buy. We tend to use the Australian mostly since we don't have to find the step down transformer for it. Usage is sporadic due to cleaning issues. I'm guessing the Vitamix would be the better choice in that area but you have to strain the result through cheesecloth . If you have the interest and want to invest, a masticating juicer is reportedly the way to go. The vitamix and some cheap muslin sounds like an effective approach.

Ancient Amerikano Adventuring Abroad: another fat guy up a mountain in the Philippines

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:18 am 

CI recommends the Breville in todays newsletter.

http://www.cooksillustrated.com/equipment/overview.asp?docid=38416&Extcode=L2HN3AA00