Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:46 am

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Bread
PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:31 am 

Hey Fuzzy,

The foccaccia turned out really well -- the dough really accentuated the olive oil flavor and had just the right chew. I'm moving on to the Ponsford's ciabatta and your potato bread next. And after 7 years of food writing, I thought I'd heard every food related word there was, but had never run into deoculate before. Thanks for the education-I intend to drop it into the first conversation I can.

L

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:45 pm 
Site Admin

Lindsay,

That's because I made it up. 8-)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:47 pm 

:o

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:38 am 

Fuzzy, you're so funny! :lol: :lol:

I am here to attest to the greatness of Fuzzy's potato bread. In fact, my DH just requested it because, like everyone else, I haven't been baking much bread lately as winter just arrived here in warm AZ.

Ponsford's Ciabatta is, though, by far the best bread I've ever made. I'll have to do that one soon too.... and DH has also requested Marcy Goldman's Garlic Slathered Stretch Bread, more of an appie though with all that topping!

Good to see you here, Lindsey -- let us know if you find something else wonderful to try this winter.

Leena

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 6:21 pm 

Lindsay,

I finally dug out the recipe for the Marsala Fig bread. It's a large scale recipe, so I worked out the baker's percentages so it can be scaled down. If you need me to work this out to actual weights, just let me know what you want the total weight of the dough to be, and I'll be happy to do it.

Day One

Dried figs 18.7%
Marsala 11.4%

Cut up the figs into small pieces and macerate overnight in the Marsala.

Day Two

Water 58.9%
Bread flour 89.7%
Wheat flour 10.3%
Instant yeast 1.57%
Salt 3.14%

Mix the above ingredients and knead for about 7 minutes, then add the figs and mix for an additional five minutes. Put into oiled bowl and let rise until double in size. Shape into any small bread shape...I always have done about 1.5 oz. sizes. Proof.

I don't remember exactly how long this bakes, but the size and shape will dictate. Simply bake to internal temp of 200.

I think I might make this in the next few days...I haven't in a long time, and it's really, really good.

Amy

Edited:

I calculated the weights based upon a 2 pound batch...they are as follows:

Figs 3.1 oz.
Marsala 1.89 oz.

Bread flour 14.8 oz.
Wheat flour 1.7 oz.
Water 9.7 oz.
Yeast .256 oz.
Salt .52 oz.

Hope this helps!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:40 pm 

deoculate :lol: :lol:

That's great Josh. I think I made your potato bread before but not sure, I shall give it a whirl this weekend.

Janet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:44 pm 

HI, Haven't been here for a looong while. I had a recipe for a wonderful sourdough rye bread from Dave at CI's old BB. Unfortunately, I cannot locate it. if anyone here has it, please post it or a link to it. Theat was just wonderufl bread that I never once messed up!!

Janet

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:18 pm 

Janet wrote:
HI, Haven't been here for a looong while. I had a recipe for a wonderful sourdough rye bread from Dave at CI's old BB. Unfortunately, I cannot locate it. if anyone here has it, please post it or a link to it. Theat was just wonderufl bread that I never once messed up!!

Janet

Janet,

I sent it to your PM, but here it is, in case others lost it:

Sour Rye Bread

The day before, or three days before:

1 tsp instant yeast
2 c dark rye flour
1 1/2 c water (80-90º)
1 tb caraway seed (optional, but necessary to me)

Combine in a large bowl and mix thoroughly. Let rise overnight or (better) up to 3 days.

Bake day:

1 1/2 tsp instant yeast
1 1/4 c water (70º)
1 egg, lighlty beaten
1/4 c blackstrap molasses
1 tb caraway seed (optional)
1 1/2 tsp salt
3 tb oil
2 c dark rye flour
4 c bread or clear flour (approx.)

When ready to bake, stir the yeast, water, egg, caraway, molasses, oil, and salt into the sponge, along with the rye flour. Add 2 c bread flour, mix well, and set aside 15 or 20 min. to let the rye absorb it's quota of water(this will prevent it from becoming dry later on). Add the remaining bread flour 1 c at a time, and knead 6 or 7 min., or until smooth and elastic. This dough won't be as sticky as some ryes, due to the higher ratio of white to rye. When ready, drop the dough into a large oiled bowl and roll around to coat with the oil. Cover and let rise at room temp. 1 1/2 - 2 hrs. Punch down and let rest while greasing three 8 1/2 x 4 1/2 in. pans. Divide into thirds, shape into loaves, and place in pans. Spray with oil and cover with plastic wrap. Let rise 45 min., or longer - until more than double, and about 1/2 in. above edge of pan. (May also be made free standing-slash loaves 3 or 4 times each if free standing).

About 15 min. before loaves are ready, preheat oven to 375º. Bake 40 - 45 min., or until about 200º internally. Cool on a wire rack. Enjoy!

P.S. I did an experiment one time with this recipe to compare bread flour, reg. unbleached, and first clear flour (the KIng Arthur type). The bread and clear definately did better, with both rising higher and staying there, with the clear doing just a little better in the final tasting, with a slightly better texture. Maybe not worth the quadruple price, but it was interesting to try once.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:45 pm 

Oh my, marsala fig bread is calling my name...

As is Dave's rye...

Amy