Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Cookaholics Bulletin Board

Shop, cook, eat, drink, post, repeat.

It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: This ice cream is amazing!
PostPosted: Sun Apr 05, 2015 4:28 pm 

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/ ... eam-365792
Mousse-like yet thick and ice creamy

Post subject: Re: This ice cream is amazing!
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:47 am 

Phoenix - Sorry for the late follow-up but this was QUITE the piece of work (see photos) :!: :o

Basically, I destroyed my kitchen, burnt my thumb with the caramel, and produced a FABULOUS treat :D

I'm not sure I will make it again but we got 11 servings out of it and made a lot of people very envious - THANKS :!: :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 2:28 pm 

not sure whether to laugh or commiserate with your burnt thumb! A whole lot of work which had me cussing a bit, but truly fabulous tasting :mrgreen:

Glad you liked it too.
Nancy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 3:57 pm 

'Laughing Commiseration' is ALWAYS welcome; I was laughing at myself - as usual :!: :lol: :D
I'm halfway through making the recipe "The Darkest Dark Chocolate Ice Cream" by Max Falkowitz from Serious Eats and will report back. Oh how we suffer... :twisted: :roll:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2015 9:51 pm 
Site Admin

Wino,

Congrats on the total kitchen destruction.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 3:10 pm 

I hate to tell you, Wino, but you needed to have an overflowing tower of dirty dishes/pots/pans in the sink, along with what was on the counter, to qualify for the non-coveted Destroyed Kitchen status. But it was an admirable showing regardless. ;)

And when it comes to burns, FWIW, below is the best product ever. I forget where I found out about it but it has saved me more times than I can count from a painful burn. If you use it right away you rarely feel the burn again. Wish they had something like that for cuts from chefs knives!

Emilie

p.s. That ice cream looks divine, Nancy. I'm afraid to make it though. Have a feeling I'd eat most of it.

http://www.amazon.com/Water-Jel-First-Relief-count/dp/B0006GE5N6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429477591&sr=8-1&keywords=burn+cream

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2015 5:16 pm 

Wino, I'm anxious to hear about the Max Falkowitz version. I was eyeing that :!:
Emilie, Thanks for the burn remedy. As for the ice cream, it's hard not to eat a lot of it, sigh... And Fuzzy, it does mess with the kitchen, :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 4:21 pm 

My second recipe attempt (the Max Falkowitz version) was pretty much a disaster and my fault. Being on a low-carb diet, I substituted 3 cups whipping cream for the 3 cups whole milk that was called for. I used Splenda instead of sugar. The sweetness was fine but the extra fat separated with the heat and it was almost impossible to cut. I ended up using the Vitamix to homogenize the concoction! Furthermore, it was almost too much chocolate flavor. We ended up giving it to our staff and their kids – they devoured it :!: :!: :lol:

On the plus side, I did not need to destroy myself or my kitchen; it is pretty easy to make but the super-chocolate flavor and added carbs do not compel me to try again with the called for ingredients. :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:41 pm 

Thanks for the review, Wino. I'll consider trying it, but am happy with Lebovitz' Perfect Scoop and the kitchen destruction causing Deep Dark chocolate ice cream, burn risk and all :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 7:50 am 

"below is the best product ever. I forget where I found out about it but it has saved me more times than I can count from a painful burn. If you use it right away you rarely feel the burn again. Wish they had something like that for cuts from chefs knives!l"

While I don't often get a burn, I do seem to get cut more often than is normal. Tips of fingers sliced or poked with sharp knives. I keep TWO boxes of band-aids in the kitchen. And, when possible, I use Liquid Bandage. Either my knives are TOO sharp (not likely) or I'm just a klutz.